Reviewed August 2023
The UAE has now launched a reentry permit that allows residents staying outside the UAE for over 6 months an additional 30 days before returning to the country. Hence, with the reentry permit, UAE residents can now stay outside the UAE for more than 6 months without getting their residency cancelled.
Keep reading to find out more about the Dubai and UAE reentry permit, its application process, fees, requirements, and more.
Table of Contents
Dubai & UAE reentry permit
The travel and typing centre agents in Dubai have confirmed that residency visa holders staying outside the UAE for more than six months can now reenter the country by applying for a reentry permit. The reentry permit will allow UAE residents staying outside the UAE for over six months to reenter the Emirate within 30 days from the date of approval of the permit.
Hence, with the Dubai and UAE reentry permit, residents can now stay outside the UAE for more than 6 months without getting their residency cancelled.
The reentry permit can be applied for through the Federal Authority for Identity, Citizenship, Customs and Ports Security (ICP) official website for all Emirates except Dubai. Dubai-issued visas will have to go through a slightly different process.
However, to be eligible to apply for this new permit, residents must provide a “valid reason” for staying outside the country for over six months and provide proof of the same. Although the ICP hasn’t specified what qualifies as a valid reason, medical reasons, humanitarian grounds, and work-related cases are generally accepted, according to travel agents.
Dubai & UAE reentry permit prerequisites
As per the ICP website, the following are some of the prerequisites to apply for a reenter permit to the UAE:
- the application must be submitted from outside the country
- the residents can apply for this service only after 180 days of staying outside the country
- when the application is approved, the applicant must enter the country within 30 days starting from the approval date
- a valid reason must be provided to justify being outside the country for more than six (6) months
- a fine of 100 dirhams will be charged for every 30 days or less spent outside the country
Dubai & UAE reentry permit documents requirements
To apply for the Dubai and UAE reentry permit, applicants must provide the following document:
- proof of the reason for staying outside the UAE for more than six (6) months
Please note that the mandatory or optional documents may vary depending on the data entered in the application.
Dubai & UAE reentry permit validity
The Dubai and UAE reenter permits have a validity of 30 days. Hence, residents must make sure to return to the UAE within 30 days from the permit’s approval date.
How to apply for the Dubai & UAE reentry permit?
For individuals seeking a reentry permit for visas issued in Dubai, a distinct procedure needs to be followed. To apply for the permit, individuals must contact an agent within the UAE and submit the application at any Amer center.
Furthermore, if the applicant is sponsored by a company, the application must be submitted via the sponsoring entity. For those under personal sponsorship, the sponsor is responsible for submitting the application.
Alternatively, as the ICP states, self-sponsored individuals can apply for the permit with their personal account or through public service facilities.
For other Emirates
The Dubai & UAE reenter permit can be applied for through the Federal Authority for Identity, Citizenship, Customs and Ports Security (ICP) official website by following the steps given below:
- visit ‘smart services’ from the ICP website
- under smart services, select the ‘Issue permit for staying outside UAE over 6 months’ option
- click on ‘Start Service’ and enter your personal and the details of your sponsors. The passport and residency-related information will also have to be provided.
- fill in the mandatory field on the application, which seeks the reason for staying outside the country for six (6) months or more and other required details.
- pay the required permit fees
- if approved, you will receive an approval email on your provided email id.
Please note that applicants can reenter the country only after getting an approval email from the ICP.
Dubai & UAE reentry permit processing time
The applicants applying for the Dubai and UAE reenter permit can only reenter the country after getting an approval email from the ICP. The approval process for the reenter permit takes around five (5) days.
Dubai & UAE reentry permit fees
The price of the Dubai and UAE reenter permit is AED 100 for every 30 days spent outside the country. An additional ICA fee of AED 150 will be charged to applicants applying for the permit.
The reenter permit fees are as follows:
- ICA fees – AED 150
- smart services fees – AED 100
- e-Services fees – AED 28
Please note that the service fees may vary depending on the data entered in the application. Travel agents may also levy their own fees.