This article is reviewed regularly by Wego’s editorial team to ensure that the content is up to date & accurate.
Updated March 2023
Given the importance of applying for an Emirates ID, which acts both as an identity card of the UAE’s citizens and residents and proof of residency, the Federal Authority for Identity, Citizenship, Customs and Port Security (ICP) has now released a new Emirates ID card registration form, which allows residents to track their application’s status and change the date for their fingerprint scanning.
Keep reading to find out more about Emirates ID card registration.
What is the Emirates ID card?
The Emirates ID is an identity card of the UAE’s citizens and residents. issued by Federal Authority for Identity and Citizenship (FAIC) is a legal requirement for all UAE citizens and residents, including newborn babies. It protects the individual’s identity and facilitates identification and verification as per international standards. UAE citizens and residents are obliged to apply for one and carry it with them at all times.
Since the UAE no longer requires visa stamping on passports, residents are therefore encouraged to carry their latest version of Emirates IDs to prevent delays at airports. The Emirates ID now functions as proof of residency since the latest version of the card contains all the relevant details allowing immigration counters at various airports to read the data stored on the ID.
To find learn more about the Emirates ID, please visit our dedicated Emirates ID article.Book cheap flights to UAE
Emirates ID card new registration form
As announced by the Federal Authority for Identity, Citizenship, Customs and Port Security (ICP), the Emirates ID now has a new registration form, which allows residents to track their application status and change the date for their fingerprint scanning.
Find out about the new Emirates ID Card Registration Form.
___ #IdentityCitizenshipCustomsAndPortSecurity #UAE_Innovates #Emirates_ID pic.twitter.com/mf1KoTXac3
— Identity, Citizenship, Customs & Port Security UAE (@UAEICP) February 28, 2023
The new Emirates ID card registration form has mainly been updated to simplify the Emirates ID application process. Given below are the seven new updates to the Emirates ID form:
- redesigning the form in line with ICP’s visual identity.
- including the applicant’s picture in the form.
- adding a Quick Response (QR) code to track the status of the Emirates ID application.
- providing details on the steps for applying for the Emirates ID, which includes providing the applicant’s biometric data and receiving their medical test result.
- adding the name of the courier company delivering the Emirates ID.
- providing a QR code for the ‘Customer Voice Gateway’. Applicants can scan the code, which will take them directly to the ‘Customer Voice Gateway’ web portal, which handles complaints and queries related to ICP services.
- there is also another QR code that allows the applicant to modify the date for the Emirates ID fingerprint scan.
Moreover, as reported by some sources, Dubai-based typing centre officials, the registration form will be printed out and given to the applicant once the typing centre fills out the application online and submits it on the ICP website.
The applicants can then further use the new features of the application form to get details about their application and the steps they need to follow next.
How to register for the Emirates ID card?
The Emirates ID card registration process can either be done through the ICP portal or through accredited typing centres. You can find out the complete list of accredited Emirates ID card biometric centres here.
Alternatively, applicants applying for the Emirates ID through the ICP portal need to follow the steps given below:
- visit the ICP portal
- enter your email address to register for the UAE Pass account
- you will also need to indicate your UAE phone number.
- gather the required documents
- fill out the application form, and visit the ICP services
- click on “Apply for a new ID card” and all the required details carefully and correctly.
- make the payment
- after the submission, you will receive an SMS informing you about the next steps. The message will mention an EIDA branch you must visit. You will have to provide your personal data, employer’s information, and biometrics (photo, fingerprint etc.).
- collect your card from your local post office