This article is reviewed regularly by Wego’s editorial team to ensure that the content is up to date & accurate.
Updated March 2023
If you’re a Bangladeshi passport holder planning a trip to India, you can apply for an e-Visa to the country. The process is relatively simple, here’s everything you need to know about applying for an Indian e-Visa from Bangladesh.
Do Bangladesh residents need a visa to visit India?
Yes, Bangladesh passport holders who wish to visit India will be required to have a valid visa, and it will be granted by the competent authorities designated by the Indian government.
If a Bangladesh passport holder wishes to stay for a continuous period exceeding six months, she or he will be required to obtain a residential permit from the official portal. In addition, holders of Diplomatic Passports/Official Passports Holders issued by the Government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh do not require a visa to travel to India and stay in India for up to 45 days.
Indian e-Visa for Bangladesh residents general requirements
All Bangladeshi nationals will have to submit the required documents for an Indian e-Visa. It usually depends on the nature of the trip, but typically, you will need the following documents:
- an electronic or scanned copy of the first (biographical) page of the visitor’s passport, which must be the standard, Passport and which must remain valid for at least 6 months from the date of entry into India,
- a copy of the visitor’s recent passport-style colour photo (only of the face, and it can be taken with a phone),
- a working email address,
- a return or onward ticket out of the country
Indian e-Visa options for Bangladesh
The following are some of the types of Indian visas available for Bangladesh citizens.
Bangladeshi looking to visit India for tourism or other non-business-related purposes can apply for an Indian tourist visa. The Tourist visa will only be granted to Bangladesh citizens who do not have a residence or occupation in India and whose sole objective of visiting India is tourism, recreation, sightseeing, and a casual visit to meet friends and relatives. Moreover, the tourist visa is non-extendable and non-convertible to other types of visas, and its misuse would entail deportation by Indian authorities.
A transit visa is granted for the sole purpose of enabling a foreigner to travel through India to reach their ultimate destination. However, for a stay in India beyond three (3) days, an appropriate visa must be obtained. Applicant must submit detailed travel plans along with his/her form and produce confirmed tickets.
Please note that no transit visa is required for a person passing through in direct transit by air, where then is no through flight, provided he/she does not leave the specified precincts of the Airport.
Bangladesh citizens looking to visit India for short visits to India for attending business meetings, negotiations, training, and participating in exhibitions can apply for an Indian business visa. Additionally, the business visa is also granted to senior executives of firms, experts, consultants, specialists, tour conductors and travel agents who often visit India for business or professional reasons. Please note that staying and seeking employment in India on a business visa is illegal.
Business visa documents required
- Appropriate endorsement of occupation/profession that justifies applying for a business visa.
- Invitation letter from the company in India indicating exact purpose and duration of stay in India and letter from applicant’s company (employer) in Bangladesh sponsoring the business visit to India indicating position and nature of applicant’s work in the organisation.
An Indian work visa or employment visa is required for any foreign residents who intend to work in India. This type of visa requires an employment offer from a private company or government organization. As the employer, you will then apply for the work permit or visa on behalf of your employees.
Bonafide students who wish to pursue regular studies at recognized institutions in India can apply for an Indian student visa. Student visas are generally given to students looking to pursue higher studies in India. This type of visa requires proof of admission to an Indian institution.
Foreigners of Indian Origin visa
Foreigners of Indian Origin visa are entitled to multipurpose, multiple entries, lifelong visa allowing foreigners of Indian origin to visit India at any time, for any length of time and for any purpose. The document you have to prepare to obtain this type of visa is a proof of being Indian Origin.
Intern visa is granted to those intending to pursue an internship in Indian companies/educational institutions/NGOs/foreign missions or posts in India/foreign government organizations concerned sponsoring the foreign national/Indian and foreign media organizations valid up to a period of one year. This type of visa requires a letter from the Indian company concerned about sponsoring the foreign national for the internship programme, clearly indicating the period of internship.
The film visa is issued to such Bangladeshi applicants who are coming to shoot a feature film/reality TV show and/or commercial TV serials in India provided by the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting.
Film visa documents required
- A copy of detailed shooting script in case of feature film and detailed concept in case of TV show/serial.
- Details of visiting film crew and location of film shooting
- Letter of intent regarding the shooting of the film in India mentioning the production schedule, list of film equipment and other relevant details
Indian e-Visa for Bangladesh residents cost
Bangladeshi passport holders are exempt from paying visa fees for an Indian e-Visa. However, those who apply for a visa at any IVAC (Indian Visa Application Centres) in Bangladesh are required to pay Visa Processing Fee(VPF). You can check the fee by visiting this link.
Indian e-Visa for Bangladesh residents online application
Please click on the link http://indianvisa-bangladesh.nic.in/visa/ to fill up the visa application form. To obtain an Indian e-Visa, please follow these steps through.
- Applicant selects the Indian Mission from where he/she intends to apply for the Visa from the tab Select Mission.
- Applicant fills out the application online as per the forms standardized by the Ministry.
- After filling out the form and submitting it, the system shall automatically generate an Application ID. Applicants are requested to keep this ID for further communications with the concerned Indian Mission.
- The system will automatically ask if the applicant wants to seek an appointment and make payment online or if the applicant just wants to print the submitted application form.
- If the applicant just wants to print the submitted application form, then the system will request the applicant to take the printout of the submitted online application form and approach the concerned Indian Mission for submission of the online form along with supporting documents.
- If the applicant wants to seek an appointment, then the system automatically takes the link to perform the following:
- Selection of date and time of appointment at the concerned Indian Mission
- Calculation of Visa fee, service charge, VAT etc., as applicable according to the visa type
Please note that in case the facility of appointment scheduling and e-Payment is not available for the concerned Indian mission, then the applicant has to take the printout of the online application form and visit the concerned Indian Mission to submit the form along with supporting documents and make the payment.
Indian e-Visa for Bangladesh residents processing time
The processing time for an Indian e-Visa for Bangladesh residents requires a minimum of three working days.
Indian e-Visa for Bangladesh residents visa status check
Bangladesh residents can check their visa status by visiting this website.