Reviewed 27 June 2022
As the Hajj season approaches, the Saudi authorities aim to provide the best experience for the many pilgrims seeking to perform their religious obligations in the holy city of Makkah. In so doing, a restriction on entering Makkah without a permit has been announced by the authorities.
Here’s all you need to know about the Makkah permit; where and how to obtain it, and who are exempted from having to obtain said permit.
What is the Makkah permit?
The Makkah permit is an entry document issued by the General Directorate of Passports (Jawazat) allowing holders to enter the city of Makkah.
In an attempt to better regulate the Hajj pilgrimage, Saudi authorities have recently announced a new rule stating that only those with Hajj and Umrah permits are allowed to enter Makkah. This means all visitors, expatriate residents, and Saudi nationals without a permit will not be granted entry to the city. The restriction will remain in effect until the end of this year’s Hajj season.
The following categories are exempted:
- holders of Umrah permit
- holders of Hajj permit
- holders of Iqama issued in Makkah
- holders of entry permit to work in the holy sites
Who needs to apply for the Makkah permit?
Expats working and living in Saudi Arabia need to apply for the Makkah entry permit. Those included in this category are:
- domestic workers
- employees of companies and establishments in Makkah
- those with seasonal work visas
Makkah entry permit registration
Those looking to enter Makkah may apply for an entry permit through the following channels.
Muqeem portal for all visitors
The Makkah entry permit for all other categories can be obtained from the Muqeem portal. Your company or employer must go through the following steps.
- go to the Muqeem portal https://makkahpermit.muqeem.sa/
- log in
- select ‘permit requests’
- select ‘Add a Permit’
- provide the data as requested
- provide details on the individual needing the permit
- upload the necessary documents
- submit the application
Upon a successful application, the Makkah entry permit will be granted through the Muqeem portal.
Absher portal for domestic workers
Domestic workers, which includes people working as housemaids and chauffeurs, may obtain their Makkah permit through the Absher platform.
- go to the Absher portal https://www.absher.sa/
- log in
- select ‘services’ under the Worker’s tab
- select ‘Makkah Entry Permit’
- select ‘Request Entry Permit’