Updated February 2024
All expats planning to stay in the UAE on a residence visa should be aware that they must provide documentation in the form of medical reports from medical examination institutes in the UAE to verify that they are free from contagious diseases.
Table of Contents
Who is required to have a medical test in the UAE?
It is mandatory for all expatriates seeking to obtain work permits or residence visas in UAE to be certified as medically fit and free of contagious diseases. These medical fitness tests must be performed at government-approved health centers in the UAE in order for the UAE to grant or renew a residency visa. Applicants of the medical test must be 18 or older.
If you are only applying visit visa or tourist visa or you want to renew them, you would not need to get a medical test done.
What are the required documents to get the medical test?
For your medical test procedure, you must submit the following documents to the medical test:
- valid copies of the first and second pages of the passport
- valid Residence Permit/Visa copy
- one passport type of photo
- valid Emirates ID copy or UAE ID application form (only for the renewal of residence visa)
What is the process of the medical test?
In order to get your health checked, these are the steps you need to follow:
- register in the digital services, create a username and password (If not yet registered), and login
- print and complete the smart form at a printing center or via the e-service for individuals or registered companies
- pay the fee at the printing center or through the electronic system
- print the medical examination form
- visit the preventive medicine center or examination center for residency with the required documents
- visit the radiology department for the required X-ray
- visit the laboratory for blood tests
- examination results will be sent to the applicant via email and SMS, and submitted to the General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs in the Federal Authority for Identity and Nationality
- applicants can print the medical examination results via the electronic link
- original medical examination certificate will be sent via Empost courier services
How much does a medical test in UAE cost?
The cost of the medical test varies based on your chosen categories. Below are the prices for each category.
- category A (employees, companies and workers): AED 260
- category B (men working in working in hair and beauty salons, health clubs, health facilities): AED 310
- category C (women working as baby nannies, domestic servants and the like, nursery and kindergarten supervisors, workers in hair and beauty salons, health clubs and health facilities): AED 360
Moreover, the cost of the test can vary based on where you take the medical test.
Ministry of Health and Prevention (Mohap) Preventive Medicine Departments
The medical test in Mohap costs AED 105.
Department of Health Abu Dhabi, HAAD
In order to get the residence visa medical check-up certificate from HAAD, you will have to pay AED 250. If you want to get a specific result certificate of the Hepatitis B vaccine, it only costs AED 50.
Dubai Health Authority (DHA) typing centres
The cost of the medical test in DHA is listed below:
- regular (24 hrs): AED 270
- housemaids (24 hrs): AED 320
- VIP service (6 hrs): AED 700
- VIP house maids service (6 hrs): AED 750
- VIP service (2 hrs): AED 1020
- VIP service (30 min): 700 AED
You can also find medical tests in the centres for shopping malls with the service costs AED 110, and it already includes VAT.
What kind of medical tests will be done?
The medical examination for the UAE visa typically includes tests the following diseases:
- HIV and AIDS screening
- Pulmonary tuberculosis
- Hepatitis B
- Hepatitis C
Other than the tests above, Hepatitis B vaccination is required for the following categories:
- housekeepers and those in the same category
- supervisors of nurseries and kindergartens
- workers in hairdressing and beauty salons and health clubs
- workers in health facilities
Those found to be HIV positive or having tuberculosis will be considered medically unfit and, therefore, will not be granted a residence visa. They will be deported immediately by the UAE’s authorities back to their country of origin.
Residents who are detected with dormant or inactive pulmonary tuberculosis are also considered medically fit. In this case, they are granted a one-year ‘Health Fitness Certificate for Residence’ subject to treatment and follow-up by the Department of Preventive Medicine or equivalent government health authority.
Hence, if you suspect yourself to be suffering from a communicable disease, it is advisable to get yourself tested in your home country first.
The following categories of workers should test negative for syphilis and Hepatitis B:
- workers in nurseries
- domestic workers, including housemaids, nannies, and drivers
- food handlers and workers in restaurants and cafes
- workers in saloons and beauty centers
- workers in health clubs
All resident expatriates, while renewing their residence visas, have to undergo TB screening and those found with scars or active TB or found having drug-resistant TB will be issued a conditional fitness certificate and be issued residence visas for one year. They will then have to undergo treatment in the UAE.
How long does UAE medical result take?
The report and results of the medical test are usually finished within 1-2 days after the test. Meanwhile, for the test itself it only takes about 30 minutes.
What happens if UAE medical test fails?
An individual with a failed medical test in the UAE is denied a visa and is returned to their country, while someone with an existing visa renewal must be treated in the UAE.
Where can I do medical tests in UAE?
UAE offers public health center for people who want to have their medical tests.
Al Nahda Center, Salah El Deen Center, Ibn Battuta Center, Al Khubaisi Medical Center, Dragon Mart 2 Center, Tecom Center, and Al Baraha Smart Center.
Dubai Health Authority (DHA) medical centers
Al Karama Center, Bur Dubai Center, Al Muhaisnah Center, Al Muhaisnah Center, Al Quoz Mall, Al Yalayis Center, Al Garhoud Center, Al Rashidiya Center, Jebel Ali Health Center, Dubai Airport Free Zone Authority, Dubai International Financial Center, AXS Center (Knowledge Village Medical Fitness Center), Emirates Medical Fitness Center, Emirates Airline Medical Fitness Center Al Lusaily Center, Dubai Land Department Medical Fitness Center,
Smart Salem Centers
Al Wasl (City Walk), Tecom (Dubai Knowledge Park), DIFC (index Tower), Zabeel Medical Fitness Center
How can I check my visa medical result in Dubai?
You can check your medical fitness report in Dubai through the DHA Smart App. If you want to enquire about the status of your medical fitness test, you call the contact number of Dubai Health (80060) or visit the Capital Health official website. You only need to provide the application number, passport number, and date of birth.
Sahara Center, Al Khibra & Al Daqqa Center (Al Sajaa), Al Ibdaa Center; Al Taj Smart Center, Al Shurooq Center, Weqa Center, Muwaileh Center, Zulekha Center.
Mushairif Center, Al Nuameia Center
Ras al Khaimah
Mina Tower Center. Al Amal Center
Umm al Quwain
Al Madar Center