This article has been reviewed by Wego‘s editorial team to ensure that the content is up to date & accurate.
Updated April 2023
The Aadhaar card and the Permanent Account Number (PAN) card are two essential documents that all Indian citizens must possess. According to recent government regulations, it is now mandatory for taxpayers to link their Aadhaar card with their PAN card before 30 June 2023. This is to ensure that their PAN card remains valid and operational.
With the recently announced extension of the deadline, taxpayers who have not linked their Aadhaar card with PAN card can quickly complete the procedure online. Read on to learn more about linking your Aadhaar and PAN card.
Who needs to link PAN and Aadhar cards?
As per the latest directive from the Income Tax Department, every individual who has been allotted a Permanent Account Number (PAN) on or after 1 July 2017 and is eligible to obtain an Aadhaar number must link their Aadhaar and PAN before the specified deadline.
However, the Aadhaar-PAN linkage requirement does not apply to individuals who:
- reside in the states of Assam, Jammu and Kashmir, and Meghalaya
- are non-residents as per the Income-tax Act, 1961
- are 80 years of age or older at any time during the previous year
- are not citizens of India
PAN and Aadhar card linking online
The original deadline to link PAN and Aadhaar cards was 31 March, with a penalty for non-compliance. However, the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) has extended the deadline to 30 June 2023, providing significant relief for those who have not yet linked their cards. Failure to link the two cards by the deadline will result in the PAN card becoming invalid. It can also lead to consequences such as being unable to file income tax returns, access banking services, or trade in stock markets.
Both registered and unregistered users can link their Aadhaar and PAN online on the e-Filing Portal, even without logging in. You can use the quick link ‘Link Aadhaar’ on the e-filing home page to link Aadhaar and PAN.
To link your PAN and Aadhaar cards, you need to fulfill the following prerequisites:
- you have not linked your Aadhaar and PAN cards before 31 March 2022
- you have a valid PAN card
- you have an Aadhaar number
- you have a valid mobile number registered with your Aadhaar.
Linking of PAN card with Aadhar card involves two broad steps: paying the fees and validating the linking process.
Payment of applicable fee on the e-filing Portal or on the Protean (NSDL) portal
- visit the e-filing portal home page and click on “Link Aadhaar” in the quick links section. Alternatively, login to the e-filing portal and click on Link Aadhar in profile section
- enter your PAN and Aadhaar number
- click on ‘Continue to Pay Through e-Pay Tax’ if you have an account in a Bank authorised for e-Pay Tax (Axis Bank, Bank of India, Bank of Maharashtra, Canara Bank, Central Bank of India, City Union Bank, Federal Bank, ICICI Bank, IDBI Bank, Indian Bank, Indian Overseas Bank, IndusInd Bank, Jammu & Kashmir Bank, Karur Vysya Bank, Kotak Mahindra Bank, Punjab National Bank, UCO Bank Union Bank of India); otherwise, use the Protean (NSDL) Portal for payment of the fee
- enter your PAN, confirm PAN and a valid mobile number to receive OTP
- post OTP verification, you will be redirected to the e-pay tax page
- click on the hyperlink given on the e-pay tax page to redirect to Protean (NSDL) Portal
- click “Challan No./ITNS 280”
- select tax applicable as “0021” and type of payment as “500”
- provide assessment year as 2023-24 and other mandatory details and click on ‘proceed’
- the applicable amount will be pre-filled against others, and click ‘continue’. Now, a challan will be generated
Once you have paid the fee, you can link your Aadhaar with your PAN on the e-filing Portal. You can submit the Aadhaar-PAN link request on the e-filing portal immediately if the payment is made through the e-pay tax service. If you have made the payment through Protean (NSDL), you can submit the link request after 4-5 working days of making the payment.
Validating Aadhar PAN link request (with login):
- go to the e-Filing portal
- login to your account
- in the profile section, under the ‘Link Aadhaar to PAN’ option, click ‘Link Aadhaar,’ or alternatively, click on ‘Link Aadhaar’ in the personal details section
- enter the Aadhaar number and click on ‘validate’
Validating Aadhar PAN link request (without login):
- go to the e-filing portal home page and click on ‘link Aadhaar” under quick links
- enter the PAN and Aadhaar numbers and click on ‘validate’
- enter the mandatory details as required and click on ‘Link Aadhaar’
- enter the 6-digit OTP received on mobile number mentioned in the previous step and click on ‘validate’
- request for the linking of Aadhaar has been submitted successfully; now you can check the Aadhaar-PAN link status
After validating your PAN and Aadhaar, you will see a pop-up message that says,’Your payment details are verified.”
- click ‘continue’ on the pop-up message to submit the Aadhaar-PAN linking request. Enter the required details and click on the ‘Link Aadhaar’ button.
- your request for linking Aadhaar with PAN has been submitted successfully. Now you can check the status of your Aadhaar-PAN linking.
PAN and Aadhar card linking status check
You can check the status of your Aadhaar PAN link request on the e-filing portal.
To view your linking status with login:
- login to the e-filing portal
- on your dashboard, click on ‘Link Aadhaar Status’
- alternatively, you can go to ‘My Profile’ and then ‘Link Aadhaar Status’
- if your Aadhaar is already linked, your Aadhaar number will be displayed. If Aadhaar is not linked, ‘Link Aadhaar Status’ will be displayed.
To view your linking status with login:
- on the e-filing portal homepage, under quick links, click ‘Link Aadhaar Status’
- enter your PAN and Aadhaar number, and click ‘View Link Aadhaar Status’
Please note that:
- if the validation process fails, click ‘Link Aadhaar’ on the status page, and repeat the steps to link your PAN and Aadhaar
- if your request to link PAN and Aadhaar is pending with UIDAI for validation, you will need to check the status later
- you may need to contact the Jurisdictional AO to delink Aadhaar and PAN if:
- your Aadhaar is linked with some other PAN
- your PAN is linked with some other Aadhaar
Upon successful validation, a message will be displayed regarding your Link Aadhaar status, as pictured above.