This article has been reviewed by Wego’s editorial team to ensure that the content is up to date & accurate.
The Federal Authority for Identity, Citizenship, Customs and Port Security (ICP) has now published an updated list of specifications for updating personal photo criteria for issuing and renewing passports and Emirates IDs.
The Federal Authority for Identity, Citizenship, Customs and Port Security (ICP) has released the following list of regulations for taking a personal photo that has to be followed for identification purposes in the UAE. The following specifications must be met in order to be accepted by smart readers in line with the standards of the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO):
- image: The image itself must be a high-quality one. It must be coloured and cannot be older than six months. The dimensions of the photo must be 35mm X 40mm.
- background: The background of the image must be white
- features: Neutral, natural expressions must be maintained; they must not be exaggerated
- head position: The head must be straight, not tilted, and must be parallel to the photographic lens
- eyes: Open towards the camera and without coloured lenses
- glasses: Acceptable as long as they do not obscure the eyes and do not reflect light
- dress code: The official dress of the UAE (for citizens)
- head covering: Allowed according to national dress or religious belief
- resolution (pixels): At least 600 dpi without ink traces or shrinkage
Furthermore, the authority has stated that images that are edited using digital software will not be accepted.