This article has been reviewed by Wego’s editorial team to ensure that the content is up to date & accurate.
We’re now halfway through the FIFA World Cup 2022 and the tournament has so far lived up to expectations in terms of attracting the highest crowd since the pandemic. More than 2.4 million fans were reported to have attended the FIFA World Cup 2022 group stage matches in the State of Qatar.
Let’s take a look at the latest World Cup entry requirements put in place by the authorities for those looking to travel to Qatar.
FIFA World Cup 2022 entry requirements
Easing the entry restrictions for football fans from around the globe has been the top priority of Qatari authorities. Here, we have gathered the latest Qatar entry requirements as per the Qatar Ministry of Public Health.
COVID-19 travel regulations for international fans
General entry requirements
Fans attending FIFA World Cup 2022 are advised to familiarise themselves with Qatar’s COVID-19 Travel & Return Policy, as follows:
- it is the responsibility of travelers to know about any changes to the travel and return policy through official sources and websites before planning to travel to the State of Qatar.
- travelers must adhere to the measures in place in the State of Qatar to limit the spread of COVID-19 at all times.
- quarantine is NO longer mandatory for all travelers arriving from abroad. However, travelers who test positive for Covid-19 after arriving in Qatar must undergo self-isolation measures in accordance with the procedures followed in the State of Qatar.
- citizens and residents of the State of Qatar are NO longer required to take a Rapid Antigen test, or PCR test, upon their arrival in the State of Qatar.
- travelers are no longer required to bring a Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) or Rapid Antigen test certificate before traveling to the State of Qatar.
- from 1 November 2022, visitors entering Qatar are NOT required to pre-register on the Ehteraz health application prior to arrival.
Ehteraz mobile application policy
- it is mandatory for individuals to present the health status of the Ehteraz application when entering public and private healthcare facilities in Qatar.
- to download Ehteraz, the traveler must have the following:
- SIM card from one of Qatar’s service providers (Ooredoo or Vodafone) or an international SIM card.
- mobile internet connection.
- the smartphone should support Android 6, newer versions or IOS 13.5 and later versions.
- download and install the app on your mobile phone either via Google Play, Apple App Store or any online search engine.
- SIM cards and smartphones are available for purchase at Hamad International Airport and Abu Samra border crossing if the passenger does not own them before arrival
- fully vaccinated persons in Qatar will have a golden frame around their Health Status on Ehteraz.
- the Health Status for citizens, residents, and visitors who have received the vaccine outside Qatar will remain green without a golden frame until their vaccine data is updated in the system or through the Overseas Vaccine Portal (www.ehteraz.gov.qa).
- the Health Status on the Ehteraz app will remain red throughout the isolation period, until the end of their period of isolation.
- diplomats, administrative cardholders and VIP visitors arriving on official state visits are excluded from this measure.
Entry requirements for international Hayya Card holders
General entry requirements
Given below are the entry requirements that have to be followed by international Hayya Card holders attending the tournament from 20 November to 18 December 2022:
- Travelers arriving for the FIFA World Cup 2022 are no longer required to present proof of a PCR or RAT test certificate before travelling to the State of Qatar.
- Travelers entering Qatar for the FIFA World Cup 2022 are not required to pre-register on the Ehteraz contact tracing mobile application prior to arrival.
- Anyone who tests positive for Covid-19 while in Qatar will be required to isolate themself in accordance with Ministry of Public Health guidelines.
- Qatar does not require any traveler to take a COVID-19 test before departing Qatar. However, travellers should check the requirements of their destination country and follow their specific COVID-19 travel requirements.
Ehteraz contact tracing application
- It is mandatory for individuals to present the health status of their Ehteraz application when entering public and private healthcare facilities in Qatar.
- The Ehteraz application can be downloaded via both App Store/Google Play
Visitors to Qatar can access medical care at any of the country’s private or public hospitals, medical centers, clinics and pharmacies. Emergency and urgent healthcare services will be provided for free at public hospitals for Hayya Card holders.
However, the Ministry of Public Health strongly recommends fans get travel insurance with healthcare coverage for the duration of their stay in Qatar. You can find more information on Fan Health information here.
Please note that fans attending the FIFA World Cup 2022 are encouraged to check the Ministry of Public Health website for further information about Qatar’s healthcare facilities.