This article is reviewed regularly by Wego’s editorial team to ensure that the content is up to date & accurate.
Updated September 2023
Qatar issues different types of visas for its residents and citizens. One such visa is the Qatar family visit visa which allows expatriate residents in Qatar to bring their family members to Qatar on a short-term basis. The visa is mainly issued to immediate family members. However, it can now also be issued to other relatives of the expatriates.
Please keep reading to find out more about Qatar’s family visit visa, its validity, documents required, status check, price and more.
Table of Contents
Qatar family visit visa 2023
For wife and children
Family Visit Visa processing is now back to normal for spouse, children, and parents. However, family visit visas for in-laws and other relatives are not yet open (according to MOI Service Center officials). Applications can be submitted online using Metrash app.
In case you are applying for the family visit visa for your immediate family members (wife and children), the following documents will be necessary:
- A copy of the applicant’s Qatar ID.
- A copy of the visitor’s passport
- Proof of Relation (birth certificate for children and notarized marriage certificate for wife)
- No objection letter from employer citing profession and salary
- Work contract
- Photocopy of the company card
- Round-trip flight tickets
- Health insurance valid in Qatar
The minimum salary requirement to apply for a family visit visa in Qatar for children and spouses is QAR 5,000 (USD 1,373).
For newborns, the documents required include the following:
- Original passport of the child,
- Original birth certificate,
- Copy of residence permit for the applicant and mother’s visa
For other relatives
Please note that only married expatriates in Qatar can apply for a family visit visa to sponsor other relatives. In case you are applying for a family visit visa for other relatives, the following documents will be necessary:
- A copy of the Applicant’s Qatar ID.
- A copy of the Visitor’s Passport
- Wife’s Qatar ID copy (if she is a resident)
- Proof of Relation ( Birth Certificate, Passport etc)
- No objection letter from employer citing profession and salary
- Photocopy of the Company Card
- Round Trip Flight Tickets
- Health Insurance valid in Qatar
The minimum salary requirement to apply for a family visit visa in Qatar for other relatives is QR 10,000 (USD 2,746).
Family visit visa age limit
The age limit for applying for a family visit visa is 60 years. Those above the age of 60 will not be allowed to issue their visa applications through the Metrash system.
We strongly urge applicants to make inquiries to the ministry before going through the application.
Qatar family visit visa medical
Please note that any relatives intending to extend the family visit visa must undergo a medical test. The Medical test will screen the applicant for HIV, hepatitis B/C, and tuberculosis. If testing positive for any of the aforementioned, the extension application will be rejected.
Qatar family visit visa 2023 application process – online
- First, make sure to download and register on the Metrash2 (iOS, Android) application on your mobile phone.
- Open the Metrash2 application and log in to your account.
- Select the “Visa” icon that appears on the screen.
- Then, click on the “Issue Visa” icon followed by the “Family Visit” icon.
- Select “Family Visa Application” from the drop-down menu.
- Click on “New Application” and fill up the personal details of the visitor, including Gender, Relation, Date of Birth, Passport Details, etc, accurately.
- Select the “I agree on validity of data” option to proceed.
- The system will now ask you to ‘Upload the Visitor documents’ including Birth Certificate, Passport Copy, and Passport Copy (Others). Please make sure that the document scans or pictures are clear and readable.
- Upload all the required documents and click on ‘Next.’
- Confirm the uploading of all your documents as a final step of the process.
After submission, your application will initially be categorized as ‘under process.’ Subsequently, it will transition to the status of ‘under review.’ If your application is not approved, you will find the reason provided as notes on this page.
Conversely, if your visa is granted, you can make the visa fee payment online. Should any necessary documents be missing, you will receive notification of this requirement.
The applicant will now be required to pay the fees for the visa once the application has been approved and verified. The payment can be made from the Metrash2 application.
Once the payment has been completed make sure to download the visa copy from the Ministry of Interior website and send it to the visitor.
Qatar family visit visa 2023 application process – offline
The Qatar family visit visa can be applied offline by following the steps given below:
- The family visit visa application form can be downloaded from here.
- Fill up the form and submit it to the Ministry of Interior (MoI) service center along with all the required documents.
- The person at the counter might decide to accept the form or might write comments asking you to meet the officer for final approval.
- The Officer will conduct an interview to ask you questions regarding your reason for visiting Qatar and your relationship with the sponsor. If the officer is satisfied with your answers, you will receive a receipt
- The receipt will contain a link that you can use to check your Qatar family visit visa status online (only after 2 working days). You can also check the visa status through the Metrash 2 application.
- Once the visa gets approved, visit the MOI center again and submit your receipt.
After submission of that receipt, you will now be required to pay the visa fee at the center, or you can also pay online from the Metrash 2 application.
A printout copy of your family visit visa will be handed over to you after paying the fee. You will now be able to book the tickets for your visitors.
The visa can also be downloaded from the Ministry of Interior website.
Qatar family visit visa insurance
From 1 February 2023, visitors, as well as foreign residents in Qatar, will need to obtain health insurance covering the duration of their stay in the country. The mandatory insurance premium is QAR 50 per month.
Individuals applying for a visit visa through the Ministry of Interior (Qatar Visas) website or via the Metrash App, will be redirected to the website of the Ministry of Public Health, where they will have to select one of the insurance companies registered with the Ministry to buy the visitors’ policy after completing the other visa requirements.
After the health insurance policy is issued by the selected insurance company, the Ministry will issue the appropriate visit visa. The effective date of coverage is the date of entry of the visitor at any border.
If any visitor wishes to extend their stay in Qatar, then they will need to buy a new insurance policy.
How to check the status of my Qatar family visit visa?
The status of your Qatar family visit visa can be checked on the MoI website under Inquiries >> Visa Services >> Visa Approval Tracking. Fill in all the required details accurately, and you will be able to check the status of your visit visa.
Qatar family visit visa validity 2023
The original validity of the Qatar family visit visa is one month. However, the validity can be extended up to a period of two months for all family members, so the total duration of stay for them is 3 months.
Relatives who plan on staying for more than a month will need to undergo a medical test before extending their visa.
Qatar family visit visa cost 2023
The price of a Qatar family visit visa is fixed at QAR 200 (USD 55) and QAR 50 (USD 13) for each registered companion or dependent per month.
Qatar family visit visa rejected 2023
The average time for processing a family visit visa is now 1-2 weeks. If your Qatar family visit visa gets rejected for some reason, you can visit the Gharafa Immigration Office to request a meeting with the visa approval committee regarding your visa application.
Qatar family visit visa extension 2023
You can extend the period of your one-month Qatar family visit visa in two ways:
- Visit the office of the Ministry of Immigration or MoI Service Center and submit your passport and return ticket. Pay a fee of QAR 200 (USD 54), as the renewal fee for the visit visa is QAR 200 per month for each additional month
- For the online process, you can extend your visa from the Ministry of Interior website here.