Updated December 2023
The e-PAN is an electronically signed PAN card provided in digital form using e-KYC data from Aadhaar. it is issued to applicants in a cost-free PDF format. Equivalent to a physical PAN and offering the same value, the e-PAN offers instant availability and serves purposes such as filing Income Tax Returns (ITR), opening a Demat or savings account, and applying for debit or credit cards, among other functionalities.
Read on as Wego unveils all the steps and information you need to know when applying for an e-PAN card.
Table of Contents
What are the e-PAN requirements?
Equivalent to a physical PAN and offering the same value, an e-PAN can be applied for by meeting the following requirements:
- the applicant must possess a valid Aadhaar card
- the applicant’s contact number must be linked to their Aadhaar card
How to apply for an e-PAN online?
Applicants possessing an Aadhar card, can apply for their e-PAN card through the official website of the Income Tax department. To avail of your e-PAN, follow the steps given below:
- access the instant e-PAN service page on the portal.
- select the ‘Get New e-PAN’ option.
- enter your Aadhar card number on the following page.
- thoroughly review all the terms and conditions and check the box to proceed.
- verify the phone number linked to your Aadhar card by entering the OTP received.
- the subsequent page will display the information you retrieved from the Aadhar database. Ensure all details are accurate before proceeding.
- your application for an instant e-PAN card will successfully be submitted.
Once your e-PAN card is generated, you will receive a notification on your registered phone number and email ID. Additionally, you can check the application status by entering your Aadhar and phone number.
Please note that you can also apply for a new PAN card with an agent ID through the UTIISL and NSDL websites.
How to download the e-PAN?
After applying for a PAN card online, or if you already possess one, you can download an electronic copy of the same from any of the following websites:
Income Tax Department of India
- visit the instant e-PAN portal on the official website of Income Tax India.
- click on the ‘Check Status / Download PAN‘ option.
- enter your Aadhar number and verify it using your phone number.
- upon successful authentication, you can view and download your e-PAN card.
UTI Infrastructure Technology and Services Limited (UTIISL)
e-PAN can be downloaded from the UTIITSL site by following these steps:
- visit the UTIITSL’s e-PAN download page.
- fill in all required information on the page, including your date of birth (DOB) and PAN.
- double-check your registered mobile number and email address associated with your PAN, and check the declaration box.
- enter the OTP sent to your registered mobile number/email ID.
- upon completion of the process, users can instantly obtain their e-PAN.
National Securities Depository Limited
You can instantly download an e-PAN card from the NSDL portal using either your acknowledgment number or PAN by following these steps:
- visit the e-PAN download webpage on NSDL.
- choose between the acknowledgment number or PAN, fill in the required details, and proceed to download your PAN card.