This article is reviewed regularly (on a monthly basis) by Wego’s editorial team to ensure that the content is up to date & accurate.
Updated October 2022
Qatar’s thriving economy makes it an attractive Middle Eastern destination for many expatriate workers and foreign companies. In the process of moving to Qatar, document attestation is a crucial step that ensures the authenticity of your identity via the documents you provide. Qatar’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) is an executive government body dealing with the foreign affairs of Qatar and it is responsible for document attestation in Qatar.
Here’s everything you need to know about MOFA attestation services in Qatar.
What is MOFA attestation?
Qatar MOFA certificate attestation is a mandatory legal procedure for individuals who plan on living and working in Qatar. Those looking to establish a professional career in Qatar and who want to obtain a residence visa must first get their certificates attested by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) in Qatar. Without getting your documents certified by the MOFA, acquiring a residence visa in Qatar is impossible.
Documents such as educational certificates, marriage certificates, birth certificates and commercial documents should also first be verified by your State Home Department in your country of origin.
MOFA attestation required documents
You will need to submit certain documents as a prerequisite to get your documents attested with MOFA successfully. One such prerequisite is a Bonafide Certificate or letter of authentication issued by the concerned authority; for example, a Bonafide Certificate from the university or college from where you have obtained your educational degree.
The following documents are required for MOFA attestation in Qatar:
- Bonafide Certificate/letter of authentication
- Original certificate/document
- A photocopy of the passport
- A photocopy of your visa (if applicable)
You will also need to provide your details, email ID, and contact number. Please note that you must submit all your embassy-attested certificates for the Qatar MOFA attestation.
MOFA attestation procedure
To start the attestation process, first, submit a request to the Department of Consular Affairs at the Qatar Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) to authenticate your documents. The MOFA attestation procedure will differ as per the type of document you wish to get attested. The general process for attestation is mentioned below:
- Notarizing your documents
- Attestation with State Home Department from the respective country.
- MEA attestation from the Ministry of External Affairs.
- Embassy attestation from the country’s embassy.
- Embassy attestation or Qatar MOFA attestation
MOFA attestation fee
Personal, education, and medical documents attestation fee is around QAR 100. In contrast, the cost for commercial documents is QAR 150. MOFA attestation charges for each type of certificate and document is listed on the MOFA Consular Services website.
MOFA attestation locations in Qatar
Following are the Department of Consular Affairs at MOFA and its branches:
- Legalization section in the administration building of the Department of Consular Affairs (timings – 7:00 am to 1:00 pm).
- Government-approved MOFA attestation services centres in Musaimeer, Umm Salal, Al Wakra and Alzubara (timings – morning shift from 7:30 am to 1:00 pm & evening shift from 3:30 pm to 7:00 pm).
- Diplomatic and consular missions of the State under the Department of Consular Affairs.