Updated July 2023
Romania, a member of the European Union (EU), has emerged as an attractive destination for individuals seeking employment opportunities abroad. With its pleasant climate, friendly locals, and affordable cost of living, Romania offers an appealing environment for building a successful career. To embark on this journey, foreign nationals must acquire a Romania work visa.
In the following paragraphs, the Wego team will delve into the essential information regarding the process of obtaining a Romania work visa.
Table of Contents
Romania work visa
A Romania work visa, also known as a Romanian Employment Visa (D/AM), is issued to foreign nationals who intend to travel to Romania to engage in paid employment with a Romanian company. To obtain a Romania work visa, your employer must first secure a work permit on your behalf by applying to the Romanian Inspectorate General for Immigration.
Kindly note that a Romania work visa is mandatory for non-EU/EEA/Swiss foreign individuals who plan to work in Romania. After obtaining the work permit, applicants can proceed with their application for the Romania work visa. It is crucial to remember that the work visa must be applied for within 60 days from the date of the work permit’s issuance.
Romania work visa requirements
As per the Embassy of Romania in Pakistan, the application for the Romania work visa must be submitted along with the following documents:
- a valid passport with a minimum validity of at least three months beyond the intended stay
- copy of your ID card
- two recent color photos, sized 3 cm x 4 cm, taken against a white background
- completed visa application form
- letter of recommendation from the recruiting agency in Romania (if applicable)
- proof of a booked round-trip flight ticket to Romania
- valid medical insurance that covers the entire intended period of stay in Romania, with a minimum coverage value of 50,000 EUR (original and copy)
- original work permit issued by the Romanian Immigration Office
- evidence of sufficient means of subsistence throughout the entire duration specified on the visa, equivalent to at least the minimum guaranteed wage
- criminal record or an equivalent document issued by the authorities in your country of domicile or residence
- proof of accommodation
- polio vaccination certificate
Romania work visa online application
To apply for a work visa to Romania, you can visit the official website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. On their website, you will find the visa application form page where you can start the online application process. Make sure to follow the instructions provided and attach all the necessary documents.
It’s important to note that when applying for a long-stay visa for employment purposes, you must submit your application within 60 days of obtaining your work permit. Failure to meet this deadline may result in the expiration of your work permit.
During the online application process, you will be required to register using a valid email address. The website also offers the convenience of saving an incomplete application form, allowing you to return and complete it at a later time. Please be aware that these temporary saves are stored for a duration of 30 days.
Romania work visa check
To check the status of your Romania work visa application, you can easily do so through the official portal of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Simply provide your file number and password, and you will be able to access the information regarding the current status of your visa application.
Romania work visa processing time
Based on information stated on the official government website, the processing time for obtaining a work permit in Romania is a minimum of 30 days. This implies that the process of acquiring your Romania work visa will generally take at least 30 days. Please note that this is the minimum estimated timeframe for the processing, and actual processing times may vary.
Romania work visa fee
As per the Embassy of Romania in Pakistan, the processing fee for a Romania work visa is USD 150.