This article is reviewed regularly by Wego’s editorial team to ensure that the content is up to date & accurate.
Updated August 2023
With a vibrant economy and a growing presence on the global stage, Russia offers a unique blend of tradition and innovation. By obtaining a work visa, one can immerse oneself in this dynamic landscape, gaining invaluable experiences while contributing to career growth and personal development.
You can readily access all the up-to-date, relevant details Wego offers here concerning the Russian work visa.
Table of Contents
Russia work visa
A Russian work visa is a mandatory requirement for foreign nationals seeking employment opportunities in the country. It permits individuals to legally work and reside in Russia for a specified duration, often tied to a job contract. Work visas are issued for single entry, double entry and multiple entries.
Russia work visa validity
Work visas issued for single or double entry can be valid for up to 90 days. Whereas a multiple-entry work visa can be valid for up to 3 years.
Note: The dates of validity of the visa will correspond with the dates mentioned in your letter of invitation issued by a Russian Federal Migration Service agency.
Russia work visa requirements
For attaining a Russian working visa, the following essentials need to be submitted:
- application form: Duly filled visa application form with an affixed photograph (glued, not stapled). The photograph must be 3.5 x 4.5 cm on a white background and not bigger than the frame on the application form.
- valid passport: Its minimum validity of 6 months beyond the visa expiration date. It should comprise at least one blank two-page opening.
- invitation letter: Obtain an original letter of invitation issued by the Russian Federal Migration Service.
- contract/agreement letter by organization: An original contract or agreement with the host company
- HIV test certificate: The test must be taken within the last three months before the application and should still be valid for 15- 30 days on the day of your application.
- medical insurance: Have medical insurance with coverage of at least €30,000, valid for your time in Russia
Russia work visa application
Upon the completion of your application form, you are required to download, print, sign and personally submit it at the respective Russian embassy/consulate or Visa Processing Centre in your country, together with all the support documents, payment and passport.
Russia work visa processing time
The processing time may vary depending on various factors, including the type of visa, the specific consulate/embassy where you apply (their procedures and timescales), the volume of applications being processed, and any unforeseen circumstances.
Nevertheless, the processing period for a Russian work visa typically spans approximately 20 days. However, the entire duration from inquiring about securing a Russian work permit to obtaining the actual Russian work visa can vary, generally falling within the range of 3 to 6 months.