This article has been reviewed by Wego’s editorial team to ensure that the content is up to date & accurate.
Updated February 2024
Russia, renowned for its rich history, awe-inspiring landscapes, and diverse cultures, has been a coveted destination for travelers from across the globe. Indian travelers, too, can now explore the vast wonders of this captivating nation with newfound ease and convenience. Driven by a shared commitment to bolstering tourism and strengthened bilateral relations, Russia has undertaken significant measures to simplify the visa application process for Indian visitors by introducing the Russia e-visa for Indian citizens.
In this article, Wego will delve into the visa requirements, application process, and essential tips to ensure a seamless and enriching experience for Indian visitors looking to embark on an unforgettable journey to Russia.
Table of Contents
Russia visa for Indians
Indian citizens require a visa issued by the Russian embassy or consulate in India or the country of their permanent residence to enter, stay, and exit the Russian Federation.
The Russian e-visa, which Indians can apply for starting from 1 August 2023, simplifies and streamlines the visa application process for Indian tourists, thereby reducing the need for extensive documentation and lengthy processing times.
The Russia e-visa is a single-entry visa that is processed within a maximum of 4 days and can be used for various purposes, including business trips, guest visits, tourism, and participation in events in Russia. The e-visa will be valid for 60 days, and travelers can stay in Russia for up to 16 days. It will require a consular fee of USD 40. With this development, Indian travelers now have the convenience of applying for their Russian visa in a swift and efficient manner, offering them a more enriching travel experience.
Please note that Indian citizens who wish to stay longer than the duration allowed in a Russia e-visa or foreign applicants in India who do not hold passports from countries eligible to apply for a Russia e-visa are required to apply for a Russian embassy/consulate visa.
Types of Russia visa for Indians
The following are some of the Russian visas available for Indian citizens:
The Russia e-visa grants permission to tourists from various countries to visit different regions of Russia. Indian citizens are now eligible to apply for the Russia electronic visa (e-visa).
The Russia e-visa is a single-entry visa that is processed within a maximum of 4 days and can be used for various purposes, including business trips, guest visits, tourism, and participation in events in Russia.
The following are some of the documents required to apply for a Russia e-visa:
- a completed online application form
- a copy of a valid passport. The passport must be machine-readable and issued by an eligible country. The validity of the passport must be at least 6 months from the date of application
- the payment proof of the E-visa application fee by debit or credit card
- a recent photograph in JPEG format
- medical insurance coverage for the entirety of the stay in Russia
As per the reports, the price for the Russian e-visa for Indian citizens will be USD 40 (INR 3,290)
The validity period of a unified electronic visa is 60 days from the date of issue. The permitted period of stay in the Russian Federation on the basis of e-visa within its validity period shall not exceed 16 days from the date of entry.
Foreign citizens in India not eligible for the Russia e-visa can apply for the Russian tourist visa, used for tourism, business negotiations, exhibitions, auctions, medical consultations, and examinations. Indian citizens can get a multiple-entry tourist visa for up to 180 days, with a maximum stay of 90 days within each 180-day period, and each visit cannot exceed 30 days. Violating these rules may lead to an entry ban.
The following are some of the documents required to apply for a Russia tourist visa:
- tourist confirmation letter (a copy can be submitted) issued by a Russian tour operator registered in the Unified Federal Register of Tour Operators under a unique reference number. The letter should contain:
- all the passport details of the tourist, including full name, date of birth, sex, citizenship and passport number
- duration of stay, including date of entry and exit
- number of entries granted by the visa
- full contact details of the Russian tour operator, its reference number (“MBT”)
- list of the cities to be visited
- accommodation details
- signature of the head of the tour agency
- the organization’s official seal.
- an original passport containing at least 2 blank pages for visas, valid for a period of 6 months after the visa expires, and a good quality copy of the page with photo and address page – both on one side of an A4 sheet
- filled out, printed and signed the online visa application form. Please make sure to select the correct location for submission (the visa center you will be applying at) while completing the application form.
- one color photograph 3.5 x 4.5 cm with light-colored background, a clear image of the applicant directly facing the camera, without dark/ tinted glasses or any headgear (with the exception of persons who wear such headgear due to their ethnic/ religious background, and are seen wearing the same in their passport photo)
- in case the travel is more than 14 days then day to day, the itinerary is required
- double-entry tourist visas are issued for trips, including an exit to Russia’s bordering countries only. Hence, additional documents may be required, including:
- the original and copy of an air ticket and a visa or any other document allowing entry to the country of the second destination
Please note that the consular office reserves the right to request additional documents, invite the applicant for an interview or extend visa processing time up to 30 days.
The visa price for a Russian tourist visa may vary depending on the citizenship of the applicant, the number of entries and visa processing time. However, in addition to the visa fee, applicants are required to pay the Russia visa center fee of INR 2,200 (including GST) for each visa application.
Payments can be made at the Russian visa application center in cash or by debit/credit card.
Please note that all payments made are non-refundable.
A business visa is issued to foreign citizens for various business purposes in Russia, including negotiations, contracts, medical consultations, and more. It can be single, double (90 days validity), or multiple-entry (180 days validity). The total stay under multiple-entry visas cannot exceed 90 days within each 180-day period from the visa’s start date. Note that family members can’t get a business visa unless the main applicant travels for an investment project in the Far Eastern Federal District or Vladivostok’s free port.
The following are some of the documents required to apply for a Russia business visa:
- invitation to enter the Russian Federation, issued by the bodies of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Russian Federation
- directive of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation for visa issuance
- a request from the host organization on official letterhead (“direct invitation”), which must contain the following information:
- for the invited person – name, surname, date of birth, gender, citizenship, number and type of identity document, dates and purpose of the trip, number of entries, names and dates of birth of minor children traveling with the invited person
- for the inviting organization – the full name of this organization and its legal and actual addresses; name, surname and position of the authorized person who signed the invitation along with their contact number
- original passport with at least 2 blank pages for visas, valid for 6 months from the date of expiry of the visa, and high-quality copies of pages containing photo and address, both on the same page of the A4 sheet
- filled out, printed and signed the online visa application form
- color photograph
The visa price for a Russian business visa may vary based on the applicant’s citizenship, number of entries, and visa processing time. Additionally, applicants need to pay a Russia visa center fee of INR 2,200 (including GST) for each visa application in addition to the visa fee.
Russia visa for Indians application
Indian citizens holding Indian passports and meeting all the e-visa requirements as mentioned above can apply for a Russian e-visa by following the steps given below:
- visit the official Russia e-visa website at electronic-visa.kdmid.ru
- fill in all the required details.
- pay the required visa fee
Once approved, you will receive your Russia e-visa online within 4 days.
Foreign citizens in India who are not eligible for a Russia e-visa or Indian citizens wanting to stay longer than allowed by a Russia e-visa must apply for a Russia Embassy/Consulate visa by following these steps:
- visit the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation website
- fill out and complete the online visa application form, and take a printout of the form
- gather all the required documents, and set an appointment at the Russian Embassy or Consulate or Russia visa application center
- visit the nearest Russian Embassy or Consulate or Russia visa application center and submit your documents, along with the visa application form.
- pay the required visa fee, and wait for the processing of your visa.