This article has been reviewed by Wego’s editorial team to ensure that the content is up to date & accurate
Updated August 2023
Kuwait’s allure as a captivating tourist destination lies in a seamless blend of cultural heritage with modern marvels. Every year, Kuwait warmly welcomes thousands of tourists, its airports bustling with a constant stream of travelers in transit. For a hassle-free trip to Kuwait, it is important for travellers to acquaint themselves with the prevailing baggage policies.
In this article, Wego provides a comprehensive guide to understanding the baggage policies of airlines operating flights to and from Kuwait, so that you are never left second-guessing while you pack for your trip.
Table of Contents
Kuwait Baggage Allowance
Baggage policies vary depending on the airline you are travelling with, and also on the class you are flying in. Passengers in first class generally have a larger baggage allowance than those in economy. It is advisable for you to check your tickets for particular baggage information. Here, we will outline the baggage policies of some of the most popular airlines operating in Kuwait.
Kuwait Airways offers different baggage allowances for its different classes, but they remain uniform irrespective of destination.
The standard free checked baggage policy for each of its classes are:
- Royal Class: 3 pieces of luggage, weight not exceeding 32 kg each (Royal Class is only available on Boeing 777-300)
- First Class: 3 pieces of luggage, weight not exceeding 32 kg each
- Business Class: 2 pieces of luggage, weight not exceeding 32 kg each
- Economy Class (all except V&T): 2 pieces of luggage, weight not exceeding 23 kg each
- Economy Class (V&T): 1 piece of luggage, weight not exceeding 32 kg
- for infants: 1 Piece (10kg) not exceeding total dimensions 115 cm or 45 inches.
Note that the permitted dimensions for luggage pieces are 250 cm for Royal and First Class and 158 cm for Business and Economy classes.
In case of any excess baggage, the rates vary according to the origin and destination of your flight. For detailed rates, refer to the charts from the Kuwait Airways website.
The free carry-on baggage policies for each of the classes are:
- Royal, First and Business Class: 1 piece of luggage, weight not exceeding 11 kg
- Economy Class: 1 piece of luggage, weight not exceeding 7 kg
Note that the permitted dimensions for luggage pieces are 56 X 46 X 25 cm or 22 X 18 X 10 inch for all of the classes.
In addition to the cabin hand luggage allowance, passengers are permitted to carry up to ONE additional item from the following: one ladies handbag, one briefcase, one coat, cape or blanket, one umbrella, one pair of binoculars or small camera, one pair of crutches or walking stick; or one duty-free item purchased on day of the flight.
Jazeera Airways is one of the few privately-owned airlines in the Middle East. It has its own terminal at the Kuwait International Airport. The baggage policies vary according to the fare type in economy class.
The checked baggage policy differs according to your fare type in Economy Class:
- Light: no checked luggage allowed (you can purchase additional baggage check during check-in)
- Value: 1 piece of luggage, weight not exceeding 20 kg (you can pre-purchase 10 kg)
- Extra: 2 pieces of luggage, weight not exceeding 30 kg (you can pre-purchase 20 kg)
For business class (available on flights to and from Cairo only): 3 pieces of luggage, weight not exceeding 32 kg each.
Please note that dimensions of checked-in baggage in all of these classes should not exceed 158 cm for each bag. Additional bags above your allowance (weight/piece/size) may be purchased at check-in.
In all economy classes, passengers are allowed to carry 1 piece of carry-on luggage, with the weight not exceeding 7 kg. The dimensions of the bag should be 55 cm x 40 cm x 20 cm, with the Jazeera Airways’ carry-on tag attached.
There is no checked-in baggage allowance for infants. However, passengers with infants are allowed to carry an additional piece of hand baggage of a maximum of 10 kg for Economy not exceeding the size dimensions as mentioned before.
For business class (available on flights to and from Cairo only), the carry-on allowance for a passenger is 2 pieces of luggage, together not weighing more than 15 kg. The dimensions of the bag should be 55 cm x 40 cm x 20 cm, with the Jazeera Airways’ carry-on tag attached.
IndiGo is a renowned airline that offers low-cost and reliable flights to various domestic and international destinations. Baggage allowances on IndiGo flights depend on the origin and destination of your flight.
There are no flight classes on IndiGo flights. For flights to and from Kuwait, the baggage allowance per passenger is 2 pieces of luggage, together not weighing in excess of 30 kg. In case of additional baggage, excess baggage charges will be applicable.
For domestic flights, baggage allowance per person is 1 piece of luggage, weight not exceeding 15 kg. Double or MultiSeats bookings get an extra 10kg. Extra charges may apply for excess baggage.
IndiGo allows one handbag per customer weighing up to 7 kg and measuring a total of 115 cm (length + width + height). The handbag should be placed under the seat in front of you to facilitate contactless travel. Additionally, you can carry one additional personal item, such as a laptop bag or purse, weighing not more than 3 kg.
For infants, one handbag up to 7 kg and 115 cm (L+W+H), shall be allowed per customer. There are no checked baggage allowances for infants.
Gulf Air, the national carrier of Bahrain, offers a diverse range of flights to numerous international destinations, including Kuwait. It is known for its quality service and modern fleet, Gulf Air provides a seamless travel experience. Baggage allowances on Gulf Air vary according to flight class and fare type.
Your fare type in Economy class determines your baggage allowance. The different baggage allowances are mentioned below:
- Light: 1 piece of luggage, weight not exceeding 23 kg
- Smart: 2 pieces of luggage, weight not exceeding 23 kg each
- Flex: 2 pieces of luggage, weight not exceeding 23 kg each
In Falcon Gold (Business) Class, passengers are allowed 2 pieces of luggage, with the weight of each not exceeding 32 kgs each.
Carry-on baggage allowance is uniform across all Economy class types. Passengers are allowed 1 bag or briefcase with weight not exceeding 6 kg and a maximum dimension of 45 x 40 x 30 cm.
Carry-on baggage allowance for Falcon Gold (business) class is 1 bag or briefcase, with weight not exceeding 9 kg and a maximum dimension of 45 x 40 x 30 cm.
In addition to the free cabin baggage allowance, each customer can carry any of the following personal items without additional charges:
- a handbag, pocketbook, or purse which is appropriate to normal travel dress and is not being used as a container for other items which could be regarded as baggage.
- a laptop/ personal computer
- an overcoat, wrap or blanket
- an umbrella or walking stick
- a small camera or pair of binoculars
- a reasonable amount of reading matter
- infant’s food for consumption during the flight
- a fully collapsible wheelchair (please note that this will be loaded in the hold at the departure gate)
- a pair of crutches and/or braces or other prosthetic device provided that the customer is dependent on them
If your baggage exceeds the free baggage allowances, you may purchase your pre-paid excess baggage at discounted rates online or through your local Gulf Air office.