This article is reviewed regularly by Wego’s editorial team to ensure that the content is up to date & accurate
Updated July 2023
Vietnam, a Southeast Asian treasure, is renowned for its remarkable history, lively culture, and awe-inspiring natural scenery. For Indian explorers with a yearning to discover this captivating nation, acquiring a Vietnam visa opens the doors to an unforgettable experience. Whether captivated by the bustling thoroughfares of Hanoi, the time-honoured marvels of Hoi An, or the mesmerizing allure of Ha Long Bay, Vietnam promises an enriching experience to every adventurous traveller.
Read on as Wego dives into everything you need to know while applying for a Vietnam visa from India.
Table of Contents
Do Indian citizens need a visa for Vietnam?
Yes, Indian citizens, who do not meet the Vietnam visa exemption requirements, are required to apply for an appropriate visa for entry into Vietnam.
However, the following categories are eligible for a Vietnam visa exemption:
- Vietnamese people residing overseas.
- spouses and children of Vietnamese citizens or of Vietnamese people residing overseas.
Please note that:
- travellers who want to enter Vietnam for all purposes need to obtain a valid visa before travelling. The visa issued by Vietnam Embassy is valid for all borders in Vietnam (by land, by air or by sea).
- you can apply for a Vietnam visa for yourself or for others (no Power of Attorney required).
- processing time and visa fee vary according to factors such as passport type, length of stay, number of entries, types of visa, and availability of pre-authorization and may be subject to change from time to time. Please make sure to contact the visa section of the Embassy before you apply for the visa.
- visa fees are non-refundable.
- travellers coming to Vietnam are NOT required to submit a Health Declaration upon arrival.
Types of Vietnam visas for Indians
The following are some of the types of Vietnam sticker visas available for Indian citizens:
The Vietnam eVisa is a single-entry electronic visa issued to foreigners by the Vietnamese Immigration Department through the National Portal on Immigration website. The Vietnam e-visa is valid for a maximum of 30 days.
Please note that eligible applicants will only be granted a Vietnam e-visa provided they do not fall under the cases of suspension from entry prescribed in Article 21 of the Law on foreigners’ entry into, exit from, transit through, and residence in Vietnam.
Vietnam tourist visa (DL visa)
The Vietnam tourist visa or the DL visa is issued to travellers wishing to visit Vietnam for tourism purposes. The Vietnam tourist visa from India can be a single-entry visa or a multiple-entry visa.
The single-entry and multiple-entry tourist visa is valid for either 1 month or 3 months, depending on the decision of the Embassy. However, a citizen can only stay in Vietnam on a single-entry tourist visa for 30 days.
Vietnam work visa (LD visa)
A Vietnam work visa or LD visa is a short-term visa that permits foreign individuals to engage in work or business activities within Vietnam in association with a Vietnamese company. The Vietnam work visa has a validity of 2 years.
Vietnam business visa (DN visa)
The Vietnam business visa or DN visa is issued to applicants looking to visit Vietnam for official or business purposes, including meetings, conferences, and other business purposes.
Vietnam SQ visa
In the following situations, the head of Vietnam’s overseas mission has the authority to grant a visa, that is, the SQ visa, valid for up to 30 days, to foreigners entering the country for purposes such as market research, tourism, visiting family members, or seeking medical treatment:
- an individual who has working relations with Vietnam’s visa granting agency abroad and their spouse and children; or an individual who applies for a Vietnam visa with a request (in written form) of a competent agency under the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the host country
- a person who holds a guaranteed diplomatic note issued by the diplomatic missions or consular agencies based in the host country
- based on a guaranteed diplomatic note issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in the host country.
Vietnam visa for Indians
The following are some of the documents required to apply for a Vietnam sticker visa:
- filled out and completed application form with an attached photo.
- original passport or passport substitute, along with a copy. The passport must have at least a 6-month validity from the date of arrival in Vietnam and have at least 1 blank page.
- 2 colour passport-sized photos
- a visa approval document which has the fax number (copy would be acceptable) issued by the Immigration Department (Ministry of Public Security) or the Consular Department, the Department of External Relations of Ho Chi Minh City (Ministry of Foreign Affairs).
The following are some of the documents required to apply for a Vietnam eVisa:
- picture of the passport data page
- photograph (looking straight without glasses)
Please note that:
- travellers must contact and request the agency, organization, or individual who is the inviter or sponsor in Vietnam to handle procedures for visa approval documents issued by the Immigration Department (Ministry of Public Security) or the Consular Department, the Department of External Relations of the Ho Chi Minh city (Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- applicants who have the above-mentioned visa approval document can proceed to submit the visa application documents to obtain the visa at the Consulate General accordingly.
- SQ visa applicants should contact Vietnamese missions abroad for detailed instructions.
- passport validity must be at least 1 month longer than the applied visa validity. However, many airlines require passport validity of at least 6 months for eligibility.
- an appointed agent submitting the visa application documents on behalf of the applicants does not need the Power of Attorney/Letter of Authorization.
- additional documents might be required depending on the type of visa the applicant is applying for. Make sure to contact the Embassy to know details regarding the documents required.
To apply for a Vietnam e-visa, follow the steps given below:
- visit the National Portal on Immigration website.
- read through the instructions and check the confirmation box.
- click on ‘Next’ to proceed.
- fill out the required details, and upload the documents required, as mentioned-above
- after this, you will receive a registration code.
- pay the required e-visa fee. Your application will be processed in 3 working days
- enter the registration code, registration email and date of birth to check results in the e-visa search menu. If approved, please make sure to carry a print out of the e-visa to enter/exit Vietnam.
A Vietnam sticker visa can be applied from India by following the steps given below:
Step 1: Fill out and complete the visa application form
The first step for applying for a Vietnam visa from India is to accurately fill out the Vietnam visa application form. You can either find your application form at the office of the Embassy you’re applying at.
Alternatively, you can also fill out the visa application form online through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Vietnam website. Please make sure to take a printout of the application form to submit with other documents at the Vietnam Embassy.
Step 2: Collect the required documents
After filling out the application form, make sure to collect all the required documents, as mentioned above, and attach them to your visa application application form.
Step 3: Submit the visa application form
Once you have attached all the required documents to your visa application form, submit the application to the Vietnam Embassy in New Delhi or the Vietnam Consulate General in Mumbai.
Alternatively, you can also apply for the visa at the VFS Global visa application centre by following the same application procedure.
Step 4: Pay the Vietnam visa fee
You will be required to pay the required Vietnam visa fee after submitting your application to the Embassy. Make sure to consult with the Embassy regarding the cost of the visa you are applying for.
Visa status check
To check your e-visa result, you can follow these simple steps:
- go to the website https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/tra-cuu-ho-so.
- fill in the necessary information, which includes your registration code, email address, and date of birth. By providing this information, you’ll be able to view and print your e-visa result.
Please note that:
- make sure to save your registration code as you will need it to check and print your e-visa.
- please be aware that no email notifications will be sent regarding the e-visa results. You need to check the result on the website using the steps mentioned above
Where to apply for a Vietnam visa from India?
Citizens from India can apply for a Vietnam visa either from the Embassy of Vietnam in New Delhi, or the Vietnam Consulate General in Mumbai.
The Embassy of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam
EP-7A Chandragupta Marg, Chanakya Puri, New Delhi – 110021
Open Tuesday and Friday from 9:30 AM to 3 PM
You can contact the Embassy at +91 11 2687 9858
Consulate General of Vietnam in Mumbai, India
Unit 805, 8th Floor, Powai Plaza, Hiranandani Gardens, Central Avenue, Powai – 400076, Mumbai
Open Monday to Friday from 8:30 AM to 5:30 PM
You can contact the Consulate at (+91 22) 25 702 033
Alternatively, you can also apply for a Vietnam visa at the nearest VFS Global visa application centre. You can find out the centres here.
Vietnam visa for Indians fee
According to some sources, the Vietnam visa cost for Indians is as follows:
- single entry visa (1 or 3 months) – USD 25 (INR 2,056)
- multiple-entry visa (1 or 3 months) – USD 50 (INR 4,109)
- multiple-entry visa (3 to 6 months) – USD 95 (INR 7,808)
- multiple-entry visa (6 to 12 months) – USD 135 (INR 11,095)
Please note that the visa fee varies depending on the type of visa you are applying for. Make sure to contact your Embassy regarding the accurate visa fee.