This article is reviewed regularly by Wego’s editorial team to ensure that the content is up to date & accurate.
Updated 11 January 2022
The fight against the coronavirus is a battle waged on many fronts. On the frontline, PCR tests and vaccine drives are being rolled out to detect and quell the alarming rate of infection. While on the digital front, mobile apps have been developed by essentially every country and territory to safeguard public health.
As part of the integrated effort to effectively suppress the spread of COVID-19, the Qatari government has deployed the Ehteraz contact tracing app
What is the Ehteraz app?
The word ‘ehteraz’ translates to ‘precaution’ and as the name suggests, the Ehteraz mobile app is designed to safeguard public health by tracking the transmission chains of the spread of the coronavirus in Qatar and provides users with accurate information and assists health authorities in providing health care when necessary.
Ehteraz color code
The Ehteraz app essentially works by identifying, isolating, and following up on those who have come in close contact with an infected individual. Users may also learn of their health status through the QR health code displayed on the app.
Upon installation and registration, the profile of each user is automatically linked to a QR code and users are automatically categorized into the following:
- Green indicates that a user has no COVID-19 symptoms or has a negative test result
- Yellow indicates individuals that are currently confined to quarantine
- Red indicates a positive case of coronavirus
- Gray indicates that the user is a suspected case and is exhibiting symptoms, or the user is someone who has come into contact with an infected person, or is someone awaiting their test result
Individuals who have a health profile code of Gray colour, should stay at home and should not go out because they are classified as among those who have symptoms or contact with positive cases and not yet been examined. #MoIQatar #COVIDー19 #Qatar #YourSafetyIsMySafety pic.twitter.com/9IHxkvd0l7— Ministry of Interior (@MOI_QatarEn) May 22, 2020
In the event that you are in close proximity or have come into contact with a confirmed case of coronavirus, Ehteraz will alert you through a prompt notification based on an accurate digital contact tracing system. This will allow you to take the necessary safety precautions in a timely manner.
Vaccine status on Ehteraz
Fully vaccinated individuals in Qatar will have a gold frame surrounding their colored QR code on Ehteraz app about 7 days after they received their last dose. The color of the QR code will still depend on their health and testing status, but it will have a gold frame if the individual has received both doses
The government has recently announced that starting 1 February 2022, individuals whose second Covid-19 vaccine dose was more than 9 months ago will be considered unvaccinated and will lose their gold frame (immunized) status on Ehteraz. They will need to get booster shot to maintain the gold frame for another 9 months.
This new ruling is rolled out in a bid to encourage people to receive booster dose to combat the new variant Omicron.
Pre-registration is a relatively simple process. You only need to visit the Ehteraz portal and do the following:
- Log in to the platform by entering your email, password and captcha
- Select ‘submit new application’ and fill in the required information which includes the date of arrival and number
- For Qatari nationals and residents, their QID number will be requested
- For GCC citizens, their passport number will be requested
- For visitors, their visa and passport numbers will be requested
- Enter the following health information:
- Type of vaccine and date of the last dose
- Date of last COVID-19 infection for recovered travellers
- Upload the following attachments:
- Copy of passport
- Copy of certified vaccination certificate
- Copy of Negative PCR test result
- Copy of hotel quarantine reservation for unvaccinated individuals or those coming from high-risk countries
- Any other required attachments
- Review the information and make sure it is accurate before sending it
- Submit your request
Ehteraz app for international travellers to Qatar
As per the government’s guidelines, the requirement of downloading and installing the Ehteraz app also extends to international arrivals to Qatar.
International arrivals must complete their pre-registration via the Ehteraz platform website and upload the necessary documents such as PCR test results, vaccine certificates, and other relevant documents at least three days before arrival. Upon arriving in Qatar, travellers are requested to install the Ehteraz app on their mobile devices.
Check out our article for complete guide on Ehteraz pre-registration for travel to Qatar.
How to get Ehteraz gold frame for international travellers?
Ehteraz gold frame denotes fully immunized status for the app user. If you are a citizen, resident, or visitor who have been vaccinated outside of Qatar, you won’t automatically see gold frame on your app and will have to wait until your vaccine data has been updated to the system.