Updated 1 November 2021
Dubbed as a voyage of hope, invention, and the year’s main highlight, the Expo 2020 Dubai is indeed a mega event. The event is being attended by thousands of people from all over the globe. Hence, to make the visitors reach the Expo 2020 venue comfortably, authorities have set up several modes of transportation that take visitors directly to the Expo 2020 site. Among these, one of the easiest and fastest ways to reach the venue is via the Dubai Metro Expo 2020 station metro.
Opened to the general public from October 1 2021, The Dubai Metro Red line takes passengers directly from the city of Dubai to the Entrance of Expo 2020. Keep reading to get a hassle-free guide on how to reach Expo 2020 venue using the metro service.
Table of Contents
Get your Expo 2020 ticket at Wego
We are proud to announce that Wego is Expo 2020 Authorized Ticket Reseller, meaning you can now purchase your tickets easily from us!
Join us at the world-class event showcasing cultural experiences, cutting edge innovations, and mind-blowing ideas featuring more than 190 countries. Get your Expo 2020 tickets at Wego now!
How to reach Expo 2020 with Dubai metro route 2020
The Expo 2020 venue can be reached using the Dubai metro only from the Dubai Metro route 2020 of the Metro Red Line.
The Dubai metro route 2020 is an extension of the Dubai metro, and it connects the Jabal Ali Metro Station to the Expo 2020 site. The route extends 15 kilometers from Jebel Ali Metro Station on the Red Line to Expo 2020 Station. The Jebel Station further runs from the Al Rashidiya station on the Red Line to Expo 2020 station.
Dubai metro lines
Metro routes are divided into zones and the ticket prices vary depending on the zones you cross. Three Metro lines are currently operational: the Green Line, the Red Line and the Branch Line.
Route 2020 extends 15km from Jebel Ali Metro Station on the Red Line to Expo 2020 Station. The metro fare price is AED 7.5 from this station. The seven stations on the new line of route 2020 are Jebel Ali Station; The Gardens Station; Discovery Gardens Station; Al Furjan Station; Jumeirah Golf Estates Station; Dubai Investments Park Station; and Expo Station.
Route 2020 is part of the Red Line, which has a capacity of 46,000 riders per hour in both directions and is projected to reach 275,000 riders per day by 2030.
Expo 2020 station timings
- Saturday to Wednesday, 5am to 1.15am (of the next day)
- Thursday, 5am to 2.15am (of the next day)
- Friday, 8am to 1.15am (of the next day)
Drop off is right at the mouth of the site’s entrance, putting you directly in the path of Al Wasl Plaza, the heart of Expo, which is just a short stroll away. The frequency of the trains is approximately every two minutes.
Please note that timings may be subject to change on public holidays.
Dubai metro 2020 fare
The Nol card
Before you start travelling via the Dubai Metro, make sure to get the Nol card. The Nol card is a smart card that is used to pay for travel on Dubai Metro, buses and tram. These are available at any Metro station in Dubai.
The types of Nol cards available are:
- Silver Card – Dh25 (regular)
- Gold Card – Dh25 (premium access to the gold class cabin on metro and tram)
- Personal Card – Dh50 (personalised with added security)
- Red Ticket – Dh2 (one-trip paper card)
The metro fares will depend on the type of Nol card you purchase. Details are as follows:
For silver card
- Within one zone Dh3
- Within two Adjacent zones Dh5
- More than two zones Dh7.50
- For children free
For golden card
- Within one zone – Dh6
- Within two Adjacent zones – Dh10
- More than two zones – Dh15
- For children – free
For personal card
- Within one zone – Dh3
- Within two Adjacent zones – Dh5
- More than two zones – Dh7.50
- For children – free
- For students, social affairs, and senior citizens and residents – 50%
For red ticket
- Within one zone – Dh4
- Within two Adjacent zones – Dh6
- More than two zones – Dh8.50
- For children – free
The Nol card should have a minimum balance of 7.50 AED.
Reaching Route 2020 from other directions
From the airport
From Dubai International Airport
- Approach either Terminal 1 or 3 for a direct commute to the Expo 2020 Station.
- Board the Metro from the airport towards Expo 2020.
- Stay on the Red Line, you do not need to switch trains at any of the interchange stations.
- Continue on your trip, until you arrive at the Expo 2020 Station.
This journey will take you approximately an hour and seven minutes for Dh7.50.
From Al Maktoum International Airport
- Board the F55 bus from the Al Maktoum International Airport Arrivals bus stand.
- Get off at Ibn Battuta Bus Station.
- Walk for two minutes to get to the Ibn Battuta Metro Station.
- Change trains at the Jebel Ali Metro Station and stay on for six stops till you arrive at Expo 2020 Station.
The journey will take you approximately an hour and 8 minutes for Dh7.50.
From the Green Line
The Green Line starts from Etisalat Metro Station to Creek Metro Station. Visitors who have the nearest metro station in the green-line can follow these guidelines to reach Expo 2020 site:
- Interchange your train at Union or BurJuman to get on the Red Line.
- Continue till the last stop of the Red Line – Expo 2020 Metro Station.
From the Branch Line
The Branch Line runs from Jabal Ali Metro Station to UAE Exchange Metro Station. Visitors who have the nearest metro station in the branch line can follow these guidelines to reach Expo 2020 site:
- Board from any five of the stations on this line till Jabal Ali.
- Interchange trains to switch to Red Line and continue on Route 2020.
- Get off at the last stop – Expo 2020 Metro Station.