This article has been reviewed by Wego’s editorial team to ensure that the content is up to date & accurate.
Updated January 2023
The Maldives is a popular tourist destination known for its crystal clear waters, white sandy beaches, and luxury resorts. One of the most convenient aspects of visiting the Maldives is the availability of visa-free visits for citizens of many countries.
This means that travelers from around the globe are allowed to visit the Maldives visa-free. In this article, we will provide an overview of the Maldives visa-free process along with its requirements.
Maldives visa-free countries
As per the Republic of Maldives’ official immigration website, a tourist visa is granted for all nationalities to the Maldives. As such, inbound travellers visiting for tourism purposes may essentially travel to the Maldives visa-free. However, please note that there are certain requirements to be satisfied for anyone looking to visit the Maldives, as detailed below,
Maldives visa-free requirements
Everyone who wishes to travel to the Maldives does not need to apply for a visa. However, they should present the following documents in order to enter the Maldives:
- a machine-readable passport (MRP) or a passport with Machine Readable Zone (MRZ), valid for at least 1 month. Please note that travelers with extended validity in their passports are not allowed to enter
- children/minors must have their own passport to enter the Maldives
- a complete travel itinerary including return journey confirmed tickets, with a prepaid confirmed hotel booking at a registered hotel, or provide proof of financial means for sufficient funds to support the stay in Maldives, or hold a pre-approved visa sponsorship Maldives Immigration
- able to demonstrate that their entry requirements to their onward destinations are in order. This includes their visa and passport validity
- must fill out a Traveller Declaration within 96 hours to the flight time. The form has to be submitted electronically via IMUGA
- Yellow Fever vaccination certificate, if applicable. Children under 1 year of age are exempt. Click here to check the Yellow Fever endemic countries
Please note that according to the Maldivian authorities, a complete travel itinerary does not guarantee entry to Maldives. Entry will be granted at the port of entry after the determination of admissibility by Immigration officers, as in accordance with Sections 7 and 8 of the Maldives Immigration Act 2007.
Maldives visa-free fee and validity
All tourists of all nationalities can receive a 30-day visa free of charge on arrival in the Maldives.
Maldives test requirements
The Maldives do not require travelers to present a negative PCR or RAT test result for entry.