Reviewed June 2023
The Maldives is a popular tourist destination known for its crystal clear waters, white sandy beaches, and luxury resorts. One of the most convenient aspects of visiting the Maldives is the availability of a visa on arrival for citizens of many countries.
This means that travelers can easily obtain a Maldives visa upon their arrival at the airport rather than having to go through the process of applying for one in advance. In this article, we will provide an overview of the Maldives visa on arrival process and the requirements for obtaining one.
Table of Contents
Maldives visa on arrival countries
As per the Republic of Maldives’ official immigration website, a tourist visa is granted for all nationalities on arrival to the Maldives. As such, inbound travelers to the Maldives visiting for tourism purposes do not require pre-arranged visas. However, please note that there are certain requirements to be satisfied for anyone looking to visit the Maldives, as detailed below,
Maldives visa on arrival requirements
Everyone may be granted a Maldives visa on arrival provided the following documents are presented:
- a machine-readable passport (MRP) or a passport with Machine Readable Zone (MRZ), valid for at least 1 month. Please note that travelers with extended validity in their passports are not allowed to enter
- children/minors must have their own passport to enter the Maldives
- a complete travel itinerary including return journey confirmed tickets, with a prepaid confirmed hotel booking at a registered hotel, or provide proof of financial means for sufficient funds to support the stay in Maldives, or hold a pre-approved visa sponsorship Maldives Immigration
- able to demonstrate that their entry requirements to their onward destinations are in order. This includes their visa and passport validity
- must fill out a Traveller Declaration within 96 hours to the flight time. The form has to be submitted electronically via IMUGA
- Yellow Fever vaccination certificate, if applicable. Children under 1 year of age are exempt. Click here to check the Yellow Fever endemic countries
Please note that according to the Maldivian authorities, a complete travel itinerary does not guarantee entry to Maldives. Entry will be granted at the port of entry after the determination of admissibility by Immigration officers, as in accordance with Section 7 and 8 of The Maldives Immigration Act 2007.
Maldives visa on arrival fee and validity
The Maldives visa on arrival is granted free of charge with a validity of up to 30 days.
Maldives visa on arrival extension
You can extend your Maldives visa on arrival by applying to the Maldives Immigration in Male before your current visa expires. Extension can be done for an additional 60 days. For more information, please visit Maldives Immigration website.