This article has been reviewed by Wego’s editorial team to ensure that the content is up to date & accurate.
Updated July 2023
For individuals visiting or residing in Qatar, it is important to possess a valid driving license (رخصة القيادة في قطر). Holding a Qatari driving license not only provides greater flexibility for transportation but also fulfills the legal obligations for renting or owning a vehicle.
In this article, Wego presents a detailed guide on how to apply for a driving license in Qatar.
Table of Contents
Qatar driving license 2023
If you want to issue a Qatar driving license, you must enrol in a driving course first. Generally, a full course has 40 practical classes (in addition to theory and simulator classes), while a half course includes only 20 practical classes.
Qatar driving license valid countries
If you belong to these countries below and you already have a driver’s license, you can get a Qatar drivers license without attending the license test:
- GCC countries
- Hong kong
- New Zealand
- San Marino
- South Korea
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
Qatar driving license application
To qualify to obtain a Qatar driving license, you will need to fulfil these criteria.
- for non-Qataris and GCC citizens: obtain a legal residence permit in the country
- reaching the legal age (18 years) for obtaining a driving license for a light vehicle or a motorcycle
- reaching the legal age (21 years) for obtaining heavy driver’s license or licenses for the construction and agricultural equipment
To obtain a Qatar driving license, you need to prepare the following documents.
- download and fill out the paper form, then submit it to the General Directorate of Traffic or a driving school.
- attach the following documents:
- three recent color photos
To issue driving licenses for Qataris:
- QID card and copy of it
- learning insurance for a period of three months for those who wish to learn on a private car
To issue driving license for non-Qataris:
- letter from the employer with approval on the application for a new license for the expatriate, identifying the type of license required
- passport of the expatriate and a copy of it
- copy of employer’s QID, in case of personal sponsorship
To issue driving license for people who are coming to Qatar for work and have residence permit and driving license in another country:
- driving license issued by the authority they belong to or by an authority that accepts driving licenses issued by them
To issue driving license for diplomatic delegates and international organizations:
- letter from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- copy of diplomatic card
- original license of applicant
To issue driving license for persons with disabilities:
- medical report issued by the MOI Medical Services Department
- pass eye test.
- pay appropriate fees
To issue a Qatar driving license, applicants must apply for a NOC (No Objection Certificate). This can be done through the Metrash2 mobile app or the Ministry of Interior (MOI) website.
Through Metrash2 mobile app
- login to the Metrash2 mobile app (available on both android and iOS)
- click on “Traffic” -> “License Service” -> “License NOC”
- select “New Issue”
- select the required driving license category (motorcycle, car, bus etc)
- enter your email Id and click “Next”
- on the next page, confirm after reviewing the requested details
Through the MOI website
- login with your smartcard to the e-services portal of MOI.
- select the required transaction type (Personal for the smart card owner or Company Name for the authorized person).
- click on “Traffic Services” then “Driving License NOC”.
- enter the NOC request details in “Request Details” page.
- enter the sponsored person QID or visa number in the specified box.
- select the required driving license category (motorbike, car, bus).
- select the required approval (Issue New license or Replace Lost License).
- click on “Confirm” after reviewing request details.
Please note that if you’re sponsored by a company, the company needs to provide a no-objection certificate through the Metrash2 application, whereas if you’re applying individually, you’ll need to obtain sponsorship.
After receiving the NOC, please follow these steps thoroughly.
- choose a driving school.
- applicants must undergo an eye test, which can be conducted by the driving schools or by obtaining an approved eye test certificate from an optometrist authorized by the traffic department.
- next, you’ll need to choose the duration of the course. A complete course includes 40 practical classes, while a half course comprises 20 practical classes only.
- submit the required documents and pay the fee.
- finally, you must pass the final road test, where a traffic police officer evaluates your driving abilities. Upon successful completion of this test, you will be issued your Qatar driving license.
Qatar driving license test
Qatar driving license test insists on the following contents.
- theory tests for road and traffic signals: This test will be about traffic laws in Qatar, traffic signs, and driving ethics. In this test, you have to answer at least 37 out of 40 questions correctly.
- parking tests: including L (perpendicular parking) and P (parallel parking).
- road Tests: This Practical test will be a one-to-one driving test with a driving instructor.
Each of these tests is a prerequisite to entering the next one. If you fail one part of the test, you will not proceed to the next test stage. However, you can retake it within a specified time frame without additional charge.
Qatar driving license renewal
Applicants can renew their driving licenses or the driving licenses of any person they sponsor through the Ministry of Interior’s online website. Follow these steps to renew a driving license:
- log in to the e-services portal of MOI using your smart card.
- select “Traffic Services” and then “Renew Driving License”.
- choose whether you want to renew your own driving license or that of another person you sponsor.
- review the driving license information.
- select the preferred delivery option for the new driving license.
- pay the required fees and print the receipt.
Please note that driving licenses can be renewed only within six months before or upon their expiry date.
Qatar driving license price
Below are the fees for issuing a Qatar driving license. The fee you need to pay will depend on the type of license you are applying for.
- QAR 500 for Qatari citizen (light vehicle)
- QAR 600 for Qatari citizen (heavy vehicle)
- QAR 300 for Qatari citizen (motorcycle)
- QAR 250 for expatriate resident (light vehicle)
- QAR 300 for expatriate resident (heavy vehicle)
- QAR 150 for expatriate resident (motorcycle)
- QAR 150 for driver’s learning license (all vehicles)
The following fees apply to renew a driving license:
- QAR 500 for Qataris (ten years), in addition to QR20 delivery fees (if applicable).
- QAR 250 for residents (five years), in addition to QR20 delivery fees (if applicable).