Updated May 2023
If you are planning a trip to any of the European countries that make up the Schengen area, you will need a Schengen visa to enter. After you have applied for a Schengen visa, checking your Schengen visa status is an important step in the process of obtaining your visa, as it will give you an idea of when you can expect to receive it.
In this article, we will provide you with a step-by-step guide on how to check your Schengen visa status, so you can plan your trip accordingly and have a stress-free experience.
Table of Contents
Schengen visa check online
The visa application center and/or embassy of the Schengen state where you submitted your application will handle your Schengen visa application. This typically requires about 15 days for processing, although it can take up to 30 days or even 60 days in exceptional circumstances.
If you have submitted an application for a Schengen Visa through one of the official application centers, you can monitor the status of your application on their official website and use their online tracking tool. To retrieve this information, you will have to provide an application ID, your date of birth, and more. Below are the websites that offers a tool to check your Schengen visa:
The processing of visa applications for many countries by all Schengen states is outsourced, and a network of visa application centers is operated by VFS Global in countries such as China, the U.S., and India. At these centers, you will submit your application, supporting documents, and biometric data. If you submitted your application at a VFS Global center, you could check the status of your application on the VFS Global website by following these steps below:
- Go to the VFS Global website.
- Select the country you applied from and the country you are going to.
- Click ‘Take me to the website.’
- Select the ‘Track your application’ tab and then click on ‘Track your visa application status online’.
- Fill in the reference number you received when you submitted your application and your last name.
- Click ‘Submit’ to view the status of your application.
If you signed up for SMS Alerts from VFS Global, you will receive a text message about your application status.
TLScontact provides consular services for the Schengen visa. If you submitted your application at a TLScontact center, you could track the status of your application on the TLScontact website by following these steps below:
- Go to the TLScontact website.
- At the bottom of the page, select the country you are a resident of and the country you are going to.
- Click ‘Go.’
- Select the visa application center where you submitted your application.
- Log in using your email address and password to view the status of your application.
Capago International is the exclusive representative for the processing of Schengen visa applications on behalf of the French Ministry of Foreign Aﬀairs in South Africa, Kuwait, Qatar, Azerbaijan, Benin, Togo, Guinea, Burkina Faso and Mali. If you submitted your application with Capago, after your appointment at the Capago Visa Application Center, you can check the status of your visa application by following these steps:
- Go to the Capago website.
- Choose the country of your residence.
- Choose the country of your destination.
- Click on ‘Track your visa application.’
- Enter your tracking number and e-mail address.
- Click on ‘Track my visa.’
If you access the embassy or consulate website or another visa application center’s website for the country you applied for, you might have to provide your passport number and other information. It’s important to visit the particular website for detailed instructions on how to verify your Schengen visa status online.