This article has been reviewed by Wego’s editorial team to ensure that the content is up to date & accurate

Updated March 2024

The Spain student visa, alternatively referred to as the Spanish student visa, is an essential credential for those with ambitions of studying in the dynamic and culturally diverse nation of Spain. Spain is celebrated for its prestigious universities, a wide array of academic offerings, and a way of life that harmoniously fuses contemporary elements with long-standing traditions. 

Read on as Wego provides all the necessary information about a Spain student visa, its types, requirements, cost, application process and more. 

Do I need a visa to study in Spain?

If you’re an international student from a country outside the European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA), or Switzerland, you will typically need a visa to study in Spain. 

Please note that for study stays of less than 90 days, applicants do not require a study visa. However, depending on the applicant’s nationality, a short-stay visa or Schengen visa may be required. More on this below

Book Cheap Flights to Spain Book Cheap Flights to Spain


Spain student visa success rate

The success rate of Spanish student visas is relatively high, with a rejection rate of only 3%. This means that the success rate for student visas in Spain is 97%, making it a welcoming destination for international students.

Spain student visa types

The following are the types of Spain student visas applicants can apply for:

Schengen student visa

International students from non-EU/EEA countries and Switzerland are required to apply for a Schengen student visa for courses shorter than 90 days.

A Schengen visa is a short-stay visa that permits an individual to travel to any member of the Schengen Area for up to 90 days per stay for purposes of tourism, business, visiting family, medical treatment, studies, training placements, volunteer activities and more. 

Schengen Visa: Everything You Need to Know About Europe’s Short Stay Visa


Schengen student visa requirements

The following are some of the documents required for a short-term Schengen visa application:

  • visa application form: Fully completed and signed visa application form must be submitted.
  • one passport photo: The photo must have a white background, the face should be clearly visible, and the size of the photo should be 2×2 inches (5×5 cm).
  • a valid passport: A valid passport that is not older than 10 years and is valid for at least three more months beyond the date you plan to leave the Schengen area must be submitted. Older passports with visas on them (if you have any).
  • payment of the visa fee: the payment made at the time of appointment must be provided. You can find out the complete visa fee details here. Please note that the visa fee will not be reimbursed even if the visa is not granted or is canceled.
  • round trip reservation or itinerary: It must include dates and flight numbers specifying entry and departure from the Schengen Area and the United States of America.
  • travel insurance policy: A document that proves you have travel health insurance for the whole Schengen territory, with a minimum coverage of 30,000 euros in case of any medical emergency such as illnesses, accidents and even repatriation in case of death.
  • proof of accommodation: A document that shows where you will be accommodated throughout your stay in Schengen. This can be one of the following:
    • a hotel/hostel booking
    • a rental agreement
    • if staying with friends or family, they must request an official “Letter of Invitation” (Carta de Invitación) issued by the Local Police Department of the Schengen territory or territories where they live. The original copy must be sent to you. Please note that you will then need to present the original and a photocopy of the documents
    • if part of a tour or cruise, a letter from your travel agent with a complete itinerary of the cities you will visit and the addresses of the hotels you will be staying in.
  • proof of financial means: Evidence that you have enough money to support yourself financially throughout your stay in the Schengen. This can be one of the following:
    • bank account statement that shows you have enough money in your account for the trip. The statement shall be no older than three months.
    • sponsorship letter by another person that confirms they will be financially supporting your trip to the Schengen. In order for this letter to be valid, it must be accompanied by a bank statement of the sponsor, no older than three months
    • a combination of your bank account statement and a letter of sponsorship
  • original and a photocopy of the identification (ID): The ID that proves residence within the jurisdiction of the Consulate of Spain in Los Angeles. Any of the following forms of identification are acceptable:
    • driver’s license with current address
    • state identity card
    • voter registration card
    • student ID.

Please note that some additional documents may be required depending on the applicant’s situation. Hence, make sure to consult the authorities for an accurate list of documents required for a Schengen visa.

For more information, please visit the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, European Union and Cooperation website.

Study visa

The study visa is mandatory for stays exceeding 90 days for studies, training, internships or voluntary work. This visa may also be issued for stays for au pairs and for conversation class assistants.

Please note that the following family members may obtain a visa to accompany the student. However, visas for students’ family members do not constitute work permits:

  • the spouse or unmarried partner.
  • children who are minors or who have a disability.

Required documents

The following are some of the documents required for a long-term Spain study visa application. You can find out the complete list of documents from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, European Union and Cooperation website:

  • National visa application form: Each applicant, including minors, must complete and sign a visa application, filling in each section.
  • one passport photo: A recent passport-size color photograph taken against a light background, facing forward, without dark or reflective glasses or any garments concealing the oval of the face
  • valid passport: Original and a photocopy of the page or pages of the passport that contain biometric data. The passport must be valid for at least the duration of the planned stay and contain two blank pages. Passports issued more than 10 years ago will not be accepted.
  • proof of acceptance for the study, training, volunteer activity, or internship: Please note that the document must indicate the start and end date of the program and the total cost:
    • acceptance at an authorized teaching center to carry out a full-time study program.
    • acceptance at a research or training center.
    • acceptance into a student mobility program (in this case, the applicant must also provide proof of acceptance at a study center, of having found accommodation with a family or at an institution, and the commitment of the organizer of the program to bear the costs).
    • acceptance for a non-remunerated internship on the basis of a signed agreement.
    • an agreement with the organization responsible for the volunteer program. 
  • proof of financial means: Original documents demonstrating sufficient financial means to cover the applicant’s stay and return, as well as that of accompanying family members:
    • the minimum required amount is equivalent to 100 percent of Spain’s Public Multiple Effects Income Indicator (IPREM).
    • to this, an amount must be added 75 percent of the IPREM for the first family member and 50 percent of the IPREM for each additional family member.
    • if proof is provided that accommodation for the entire stay has been paid for in advance, the amount will be deducted.
    • the following documents must be submitted:
      • letter of sponsorship signed by the sponsor.
      • a copy of the sponsor’s passport, when available,
      • copy of the sponsor’s PAN card.
      • original bank statements of the sponsor for the last six months signed and stamped by the bank.
  • health Insurance: Original and a copy of the certificate accrediting the public or private health insurance contracted with an authorized insurance entity in Spain. If participating in a volunteer program, provide a copy of the civil liability insurance policy taken out by the organization.
  • criminal record check certificate: For applicants of legal age seeking a visa for a stay of more than 180 days, submit the original and a copy of the criminal record check certificate(s) issued by the countries of residence for the past 5 years. Ensure foreign documents are legalized or apostilled accordingly.
  • medical certificate: For applicants requiring a visa for a stay of more than 180 days, submit the original and a copy of a medical certificate indicating that they do not suffer from any disease that could cause severe repercussions for public health, in line with the 2005 International Health Regulations. It must be apostilled by the Ministry of External Affairs.

Please note that additional documents may be required depending on the applicant’s situation. Hence, make sure to consult the authorities for an accurate list of documents required for a study visa.

How to apply for a Spain student visa?

The application procedure for a Spanish student visa involves several steps:

  • determine if you need a visa based on your nationality and program duration.
  • submit your visa application in person, through one of your parents if you’re a minor, or via a duly accredited representative to your nearest Embassy/Consulate or visa application center
  • ensure you submit the application well before your study program’s start date.
  • attend a visa appointment at the Consular Office.
  • provide additional documents or attend a personal interview if requested.
  • wait for a decision on your visa application
  • the consular office or visa application centre will further inform the applicant regarding the procedure for collection of the visa.

Please make sure to consult your nearest Spain Embassy/Consulate or visa application center for details regarding the Spain student visa application procedure. 

Spain student visa cost

The fee for a Spanish student visa varies depending on the visa type and your country of origin. However, the standard fees for Spanish student visas are as follows:

  • study visa – €60
  • Schengen student visa – €80
  • Schengen student visa for citizens of the US and Canada –  €115.


[Total: 147 Average: 4.8]