This article is reviewed regularly by Wego’s editorial team to ensure that the content is up to date & accurate.
Reviewed August 2023
Thailand offers a range of visas to travellers for various purposes. Those looking to obtain a Thailand e-visa or any other visa are required to provide specific supporting documents along with their application. While the type of documents required varies depending on the purpose of their visit, travellers need to mandatorily submit at least one photograph as one of the key requirements.
We invite you to learn all the details concerning the Thailand visa photo requirements below.
Table of Contents
Thailand visa photo requirements 2023
As with other governments around the world, the Thai authorities require complete compliance concerning their visa photograph requirements. If your photograph fails to meet the standards set by the authorities, your Thai visa application will be rejected. These standards include specific dimensions, resolution, and appearance guidelines that must be followed, as detailed below.
In order to ensure that the photograph is suitable for use on a visa application, applicants must provide a recent photo not older than 6 months.
Thailand visa photo requirements size
As per the official rules, the visa photo size must be 3.5 x 4.5 cm (1.3 x 1.77 inches) for a standard Thai visa applied at VFS or the Thai embassy. Please note that for Thailand visa on arrival purposes, the photo size must be 4 x 6 cm (1.5 x 2.3 inches). The resolution of the photo should be 472 x 709 pixels.
Thailand visa photo specifications
The followings are the specifications of the Thailand visa photo that must be adhered to by visa applicants. Non-compliance may result in the rejection of their visa applications. The general requirements for the Thailand visa photo are:
- the photo must not be older than 6 months
- the photo must be in colour
- the photo background must be white
- the visa holder’s eye and face are clearly visible and in the centre of the photograph
- the photo must show the applicant’s entire head, displaying the top of the head to the bottom of the chin
- the applicant’s head should fill up to 70% of the photo. The photograph must be printed on photographic paper
- if applying for a Thailand visa on arrival or e-visa, the photo should be in JPEG format
- the uploaded file size should not exceed 1024 KB and the minimum file dimension should be 500 x 352 pixels
Attire of the applicant
- though the dress will not be prominently visible, applicants are still advised to dress appropriately
- headwear is allowed only for religious purposes. In such cases, the face should be fully visible from the chin to the forehead. No shadows should be visible on the face
- prescription glasses are permitted, but applicants must ensure there is no flash reflection
Expression of the applicant
- the applicant should have their eyes open, and no teeth should be visible
- the applicant can slightly smile or have a neutral expression on their face. Additionally, the applicant’s head orientation is important
- the applicant’s head should be in the center of the photograph looking directly at the camera. The eyes and any facial features should be clearly visible, and no hair falling on the applicant’s face
Thailand visa photo requirements for babies, infants, and newborns
The passport photo for a child or infant must adhere to all rules for adults. However, there are certain exceptions to images of children:
- the background of the child’s photo must be in white or off-white color
- the child’s toys or pacifiers should not be visible
- the child has the eyes open and mouth closed
- the head is in the center, and the full face should be visible in the photograph