Updated January 2024
If you intend to visit your family members who are either British citizens or settled in the UK, the UK family visit visa offers you the opportunity to do so within a short period of time. In this article, Wego will present a comprehensive overview of the eligibility criteria, application process, and essential documents required for applying for the UK family visit visa.
Continue to read Wego’s article to learn more about UK family visit visas!
Table of Contents
UK family visit visa 2024
The UK family visit visa provides a wonderful opportunity for individuals residing overseas to come together with their loved ones in the United Kingdom. You need a family visa to live with a family member in the UK for more than 6 months. It’s worth noting that applications for the family visit visa can be submitted up to 3 months before the intended travel dates, ensuring ample time for planning.
You can apply for a family visa to live with your:
- spouse or partner
- fiancé, fiancée or proposed civil partner
- relative who’ll provide long-term care for you
For those who foresee frequent reunions and extended visits with their UK-based relatives, the long-term standard visitor visa proves to be a valuable option. Spanning over 2, 5, or 10 years, this visa allows multiple entries and stays in the UK, each lasting up to 6 months. This flexibility enables families to enjoy sustained and meaningful gatherings, fostering stronger bonds and cherished moments together.
Note: When planning a visit to the UK on a family visitor visa, it is crucial to understand that this particular visa does not permit marriage ceremonies.
- if you intend to get married during your stay, alternative visa options should be considered. A marriage visitor visa would be appropriate for those not planning to reside in the UK after marriage.
- on the other hand, if your goal is to live in the UK with your spouse after marriage, a fiancé visa would be a suitable choice.
UK family visit visa criteria
In order to enter the UK, it is essential to possess a valid passport or travel document that covers the entire duration of your stay. Furthermore, visitors must be able to demonstrate the following:
- intent to leave the UK at the conclusion of your visit.
- sufficient financial means to support yourself and any dependents accompanying you during the trip.
- adequate funds to cover the cost of your return or onward journey or financial support from someone else to cover these expenses.
- a commitment not to reside in the UK for extended periods through frequent or successive visits, nor to establish the UK as your primary residence.
These requirements ensure that visitors genuinely intend to visit the UK temporarily, possess the means to support themselves and do not misuse the visit visa to establish long-term residency.
UK family visit visa requirements
You’ll need to provide the following information in your online application:
- all your names
- your date of birth
- your current passport or other valid travel ID
- copies of the photo page and any visa or entry stamps in your previous passports
- a copy of your biometric residence permit, if you have one
- details of any previous immigration applications you’ve made
- details of any criminal convictions
- your national insurance number, if you have one
- your parents’ date of birth and nationality if you’re applying from outside the UK
- your tuberculosis test results if you’re from a country where you have to take the test
- a certified translation of any document that is not in English or Welsh
- You’ll need to have a blank page in your passport on which to put the visa if you’re applying outside the UK.
Additionally, you may be required to submit the following:
- give proof of your finances
- prove knowledge of English
- you may need to provide additional documents depending on your circumstances – for example, a sponsorship form from your family member in the UK.
UK family visit visa application
In order to apply online for a UK family visit visa, you can visit the website of the UK Government. This is how you can go ahead with the application:
- start the online application
- select your preferred language
- select a country to provide your biometrics
- to confirm the location for biometrics, select ‘I have identified the location where I will provide my biometrics.’
- choose the right type of visa
- complete the online application form.
- collect the required documents for a UK visa application.
- schedule a UK visa appointment.
- attend the UK visa interview.
UK family visit visa fees
- the cost of joining your partner, parent, or child is GBP 1,538 if applying outside the UK and GBP 1,048 if applying in the UK.
- the cost for each dependent added to your application is GBP 1,538 per person if applying outside the UK and GBP 1,048 per person if applying in the UK.
The cost for adults needing care from a relative depends on the relative’s permission status:
- if the relative has temporary ‘protection status’ (refugee or humanitarian protection), it costs GBP 388 when applying from outside the UK and GBP 1,408 when applying from inside the UK.
- otherwise, it costs GBP 3,250 when applying from outside the UK and GBP 1,408 when applying from inside the UK.
You might also need to pay the healthcare surcharge as part of your application.
For each adult (18 or older) it costs:
- GBP 1,560 if you’re staying for 2 years and 6 months
- GBP 1,872 if you’re staying for 2 years and 9 months
- GBP 3,120 if you’re staying for 5 years
For each child (under 18), it costs:
- GBP 1,175 if you’re staying for 2 years and 6 months
- GBP 1,410 if you’re staying for 2 years and 9 months
- GBP 2,350 if you’re staying for 5 years
UK family visit visa processing time
Mentioned below is the processing time for different types of UK family visit visas:
- partner or spouse – 24 weeks
- parent – 24 weeks
- child – 24 weeks
- adult coming to be cared for by a relative – 24 weeks
You can visit the website of the UK government to learn more about the processing time of UK visa applications.