Updated February 2024
The United Kingdom has long been a sought-after destination for individuals seeking seasonal employment opportunities. From picturesque countryside farms to bustling city-based industries, the UK offers a plethora of seasonal job opportunities for international workers.
To meet the demand for seasonal labor and ensure a smooth flow of the workforce, the UK government has introduced the Seasonal Work Visa, opening up exciting avenues for individuals to explore and contribute to the country’s thriving industries.
Table of Contents
UK seasonal work visa
The UK seasonal worker visa is a temporary work visa that allows applicants from any country to come for seasonal jobs such as fruit and vegetable picking, flower harvesting, poultry work, or horticulture. With this visa, you are permitted to work and stay in the UK for up to 6 months.
Note that the application periods for seasonal work visas vary depending on the type of work. For instance, the application period for poultry seasonal worker visas extends until the 15th of November each year. On the other hand, for horticulture seasonal worker visas, you can apply at any time throughout the year.
However, please note that while on a UK Seasonal Worker visa, you are not allowed to:
- take up a permanent job
- work in a secondary job or any employment that is not specified in your certificate of sponsorship
- access public funds
- bring family members with you under this visa category
UK seasonal work visa jobs
The UK offers a wide range of appealing seasonal job opportunities. Among the popular options are positions in retail, hospitality, delivery driving, customer service representation, warehouse operations, social media assistance, personal gift shopping, and various roles in summer and winter resorts. Additionally, there are seasonal work prospects available in farming, agriculture, summer camps, language schools, sports providers, as well as hotels and the hospitality industry. The diverse array of options ensures that individuals seeking seasonal employment can find a suitable role in their preferred sector.
To access an extensive compilation of available seasonal jobs in the UK, you can utilize the Find a Job website provided by the UK government. This official platform enables you to conduct targeted searches for seasonal employment based on factors such as location, industry, and job type. By referring to this website, you can streamline your job search and find relevant seasonal opportunities that align with your preferences and requirements.
UK seasonal worker salary
Seasonal workers in the UK typically receive an approximate hourly wage of GBP 10.42.
UK seasonal work visa sponsorship
To be eligible for a job in the UK as a seasonal worker, it is necessary to obtain sponsorship from a licensed employer. This sponsorship entails securing a certificate that contains crucial information about the job and personal details. The certificate of sponsorship must accurately verify the applicant’s name and clearly indicate that they are being sponsored as a seasonal worker in order to remain valid.
To sponsor seasonal workers, companies must be registered on the UK Home Office list. This comprehensive list encompasses all licensed companies capable of providing visa sponsorship. It serves as a valuable resource, providing essential information about the specific categories of workers each company is authorized to sponsor, along with their sponsorship rating.
UK seasonal work visa required documents and eligibility
To qualify for a UK seasonal work visa, you must be at least 18 years old at the time of application and possess the following:
- a valid passport or other documents that shows your identity and nationality
- a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) reference number from your UK sponsor: A CoS is a unique identification number that includes information about the job you are being sponsored for and your personal details. The CoS remains valid for a duration of three months starting from the date of issuance.
- sufficient funds to support yourself in the UK: Generally, you will need to demonstrate that you have a minimum of GBP 1,270 available (unless exempted). The funds must have been held continuously for at least 28 consecutive days, and the 28th day must fall within 31 days of your visa application. If your sponsor can support you instead, your certificate of sponsorship must confirm this. Your sponsor will need to complete the ‘sponsor certifies maintenance’ section on your certificate, under ‘Additional data.’
In addition, it is required to provide a certified translation of any documents that are not in English or Welsh, with the exception of your passport.
Please note that the UK Home Office might ask you to provide additional documents after you apply.
UK seasonal work visa application
You must apply online for a UK Seasonal Worker visa. As part of your application, you’ll need to prove your identity. The method of proving your identity depends on your nationality and the type of passport you possess. You will either have your fingerprints and photograph taken at a visa application center or use the UK Immigration: ID Check app to scan your identity document. You will also need to create or sign into your UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) account. You’ll be told what you need to do when you apply.
Following that, you will be required to:
- register an email
- complete the application form and answer in English
- submit the necessary documents
- provide your biometrics (fingerprints and facial photograph) for a biometric residence permit
- pay the visa fee
UK seasonal work visa fee
As per the official UK government website, the cost of a UK seasonal work visa is GBP 298 per application.