Updated August 2023
Obtaining a visa is typically the first step in travelling to a foreign nation. In the case of visiting Canada, if you’re not among the ones eligible for a visa on arrival, then you’ll have to first obtain a visa before entering the country for any purposes, including work, visit, or study.
If you’ve applied for your visa, please continue reading our article to learn more about how you may check your Canada visa application status.
Table of Contents
Canada visa check online 2023
You can check your Canada visa application status online on the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) web portal. To check your visa status, please follow the steps below:
- Visit the IRCC’s check status page from anywhere in the world.
- Select the visa type from the dropdown list. For example, select the Canada visitor visa if you’ve applied for the same
- Log in to the account you created when submitting your application online. If you submitted your application on paper, read the instructions on how to link your account.
- Click on the ‘check status and messages’ section under the main heading. View ‘my submitted applications or profiles.’
- You will then be able to view your Canada visa status.
Canada visa check by passport number
The Canada visa check by passport number is specifically available for individuals applying for Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). If you have applied for an eTA and wish to check its status, follow these steps:
- Visit the IRCC’s check status page website and navigate to the “Check Status” page.
- From the dropdown list of application types, select “Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA).”
- Complete all the required questions as prompted. Also, provide your application or eTA numbers and your passport number.
- After entering the necessary information, click the “Check Application Status” button.
Canada visa check processing time
If you want to find out how long it will take to process your visa, the ICC has a convenient online tool that can help. Follow these steps to access the information:
- Visit the IRCC’s check processing times page on their official website.
- From the dropdown list, select the application type that corresponds to your purpose of visit, which usually falls under temporary residence categories such as visiting, studying, or working.
- Choose the specific temporary residence application that aligns with your situation.
- Indicate the location from where you are applying.
- Click on the “Get Processing Times” button.
Upon completion, you will be presented with the expected processing days for your type of visa based on your country of application. Keep in mind that processing times may vary due to the following factors:
- The type of application submitted.
- Whether the application is complete with all necessary documents.
- The anticipated processing time for applications that the IRCC has already received.
- The ease of verifying the information provided in your application.
- The time you take to respond to any requests or concerns from the IRCC.
- Other external factors that may impact the processing time.
It’s important to note that the processing time does not include the duration it takes to send an application between a visa application center and the IRCC office or the time required for you to provide your biometrics. These additional steps should be considered while planning your travel and visa application process.
You can find more detailed information on the IRCC website to understand how the processing times are calculated.
Canada visa check eligibility
You can use the eligibility check tool provided by the IRCC to determine whether you meet the requirements for the type of visa you intend to apply for. To check your eligibility, follow these steps:
- Access the Find out if you’re eligible to apply page on the official website of the Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
- Respond to the required questions and proceed by clicking on the “Next” button.
- Once you have completed the questions, you will receive the results indicating whether you can apply for the visa you selected. The results will also inform you about the associated costs. Click “Continue” to proceed further.
Subsequently, you will be prompted to answer a few more questions. Based on your responses, the system will generate a personalized checklist of all the documents you must submit along with your application.
Nationals allowed to enter Canada without a visa
Nationals of the following 52 countries may travel to Canada visa-exempt and must apply for an eTA.
Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Brunei Darussalam, Bulgaria, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Mexico, Monaco, Morocco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Samoa, San Marino, Seychelles, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Solomon Islands, Spain, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, Trinidad and Tobago, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Uruguay, Vatican City.