This article is reviewed regularly (on a monthly basis) by Wego’s editorial team to ensure that the content is up to date & accurate.
Updated February 2023
The United Kingdom remains among the favourite destinations for world travellers, either for tourism or business. Emiratis love to visit the island nation of the United Kingdom, famous for its dreamy beaches, heavenly chapels and vast green countryside.
Here, we break down the rules you’ll have to adhere to while flying from the UAE to the UK.
*All prices and schedules are for flights in June 2023; they are accurate at the time of writing.
Table of Contents
Flights from Dubai to the UK
Emirates offers direct flights to 5 destinations in the UK, from Dubai. The time duration for direct flights is about 8 hours.
Flight schedule and ticket prices
- Dubai to Birmingham: two weekly direct flights. Ticket prices start at AED 2,110.
- Dubai to Glasgow: one direct flight available 7 days a week. Ticket prices start at AED 2,220.
- Dubai to London Gatwick: three direct flights, available 7 days a week. Ticket prices start at AED 1,726.
- Dubai to London Heathrow: six direct flights, available 7 days a week. Ticket prices start at AED 1,722.
- Dubai to Manchester: three direct flights, available 7 days a week. Ticket prices start at AED 2,135.
Please visit Wego for Emirates full schedule.
Flight from Abu Dhabi to the UK
Etihad has several flights from Abu Dhabi to the UK. However, many of them are connecting flights operated by other airlines, but mind the tediously long layovers. Direct flights take upto 7 hours 40 minutes, whereas connecting flights may even take more than a day.
Flight schedule and ticket prices
- Abu Dhabi to London Heathrow: Upto 4 direct flights and multiple connecting flights available 7 days a week. Ticket prices starting at AED 1,695.
- Abu Dhabi to Glasgow: Only multiple connecting flights, available 7 days a week. Ticket prices starting at AED 2,313.
- Abu Dhabi to Birmingham: Only multiple connecting flights, available 7 days a week. Ticket prices starting at AED 2,362.
- Abu Dhabi to Manchester: At least one direct flight and multiple connecting flights, available 7 days a week. Ticket prices start at AED 2,346.
Please visit Wego for Etihad Airways full schedule.
Travelling from the UAE to the UK
All travellers bound for the UK will be able to do away with the pre and post-arrival COVID testing, quarantine and face mask regulations.
Can I travel to the UK?
You do not need to complete a UK passenger locator form before you travel. At the airport, you’ll need to show your identity documents, such as your passport, visa or national identity card. You must:
- have your identity document ready – remove it from a holder or wallet if you use one
- remove your face covering or sunglasses, if you’re wearing them
- move through passport control together if you’re in a family
Since the UAE does not fall under countries eligible for visa-free services upon arrival in the UK, travellers from the UAE to UK must have a valid visa document for entry to the UK. The type of visa you need will vary according to the purpose of your entry.
Click here to check the documents and visa you would need to visit the UK, depending upon your purpose of entry.
The UK Electronic Travel Authorisation (ETA) scheme:
The UK government has recently introduced the Electronic Travel Authorisation (ETA) scheme, which will be rolled out for all GCC nations, including the UAE, from January 2023. Under this scheme, UAE citizens will no longer require a visa to travel to the UK from 2023; instead, they can apply for an ETA online before their scheduled travel date.
The ETA scheme has been launched for all eligible countries to facilitate smooth and easy travel access to the United Kingdom. Before the introduction of ETAs in 2023, travellers from UAE may continue to use the Electronic Visa Waivers (EVW), which can be completed online before their departure to the UK.
Testing and quarantine requirements
Both vaccinated and unvaccinated travellers are exempt from all testing and quarantine measures. When you travel to England, you:
- do not need to complete a UK passenger locator form before you travel
- do not need to take any COVID-19 tests before you travel or after you arrive
- do not need to quarantine when you arrive