This article is reviewed regularly by Wego’s editorial team to ensure that the content is up to date & accurate.

Updated February 2024

Changing your name can be an exhilarating yet intimidating process, particularly when it involves updating your official documents, such as your UK passport. However, with proper preparation, updating your passport can be a straightforward and vital step towards establishing your new name officially.

If you intend to change your name on your UK passport, please continue reading on Wego to learn how you can do so conveniently.

Can I change my name on my UK passport?

Yes, you can. You will have to get a new passport in order to change your name or other personal details. You’ll need to get a new passport to travel abroad or prove your identity if you change any of the following:

  • your name
  • your gender
  • your appearance, if you cannot be recognised from your passport photo any more (for example, you’ve had plastic surgery)

You’ll be sent a new 10-year passport. Time left on your old passport will not be added to your new one.

Required documents

You can change your name on your passport with one of the following documents:

Send it with both:

  • proof of any previous name changes you’ve made
  • evidence that you’re using your new name (for example a payslip or a letter from your local council)

Additionally, you will require:

  • your birth or adoption certificate. You will need to provide an original or a certified copy of your birth or adoption certificate as proof of your identity and nationality.
  • two identical passport photos. You will need to provide two recent passport photos that meet the UK passport photo requirements.
  • your old passport. You will need to submit it with your application.

Application process

To apply for a UK passport online, please note the following steps and requirements:

  1. visit and click on “Start now”
  2. select whether you are applying from within the UK or outside the UK
  3. fill in your personal information and make a secure payment using a debit or credit card
  4. upload a digital photo that meets the UK passport photo requirements
  5. follow the instructions in your confirmation email to send your old passport and any supporting documents to the designated passport office. You will also receive an application reference number that can be used to track your passport application

Your new passport will be sent to you by courier or Royal Mail. They’ll either:

  • post it through your letterbox
  • hand it to you if you’re home
  • leave a card or post you a letter saying how you can get it (it will not say the package is your passport)


The cost of your UK passport will vary depending on the method of application. The following information outlines the specific pricing for online applications.

  • Adult (16 and over) standard 34-page passport: £82.50
  • Adult (16 and over) 50-page frequent traveler passport:  £93.50
  • Child (under 16) standard 34-page passport: £53.50
  • Child (under 16) 50-page frequent traveler passport:  £64.50
  • Passport for people born on or before 2 September 1929: Free

UK passport name change before or after marriage

Before the ceremony

In preparation for your marriage or civil partnership ceremony, you have the option to apply for a passport in your new name up to 3 months in advance. It is important to note that once your new passport is issued, your old passport will be rendered invalid. In addition, please be aware that the new passport will be ‘post-dated,’ meaning it cannot be used prior to the ceremony.

It is advisable to verify the visa issuance policies of the specific country you plan to visit as certain nations may not accept post-dated passports. It is recommended to contact the embassy or consulate of the respective country for further clarification.

Along with your supporting documents, you are required to submit a ‘passports for newlyweds and civil partners’ form. This form must bear the signature of the religious minister or registrar responsible for officiating the ceremony.

After the ceremony

When applying for a passport with your new name, which may include double-barrelled names, please ensure to include your marriage or civil partnership certificate.

UK passport name change after divorce

Enclose your divorce papers showing both names (before and after) in your application for a new passport. Your new passport will automatically revert to your former name. You do not need a deed poll, a legal document that proves a change of name.

In addition to the above, please provide the following documents:

  • your birth certificate
  • a statement signed by you saying you’ve gone back to a previous surname (for example your maiden name) ‘for all purposes’ – that is, you will not use your married or civil partnership name at all
  • a document that shows you’re using your new name (for example a payslip, or a letter from your local council)
  • your decree absolute or final order showing both names
  • a marriage or civil partnership certificate showing both names – if you do not have it you can order a copy


[Total: 462 Average: 4.9]