Updated January 2023
Following the unification of the Emirates ID with the proof of residency, the Emirates ID has become a vital document for both Emirati nationals and expat residents in the UAE. An important aspect of getting the Emirates ID card is to submit the correct photo identification according to the guidelines stipulated by the authorities.
We have laid down the photo requirements for the Emirates ID requirements: size, dimensions, and other specifications to be followed.
Emirates ID photo
Photos are an important part of many identification documents, including UAE passports and Emirates IDs. The purpose of including a photo is to provide a visual reference that can be used to confirm the identity of the person presenting the document.
The Emirates ID can be applied online via the ICP portal. Check out our article to learn all about the Emirates ID and how to apply for one:
Emirates ID photo requirements
In order for the online identification system to accept your photo, it must adhere to the following guidelines:
- Images must be high quality, recent, coloured and no older than six months.
- Dimensions of the image must be 35-40mm.
- Images need to have a white background.
- Expressions must be neutral and not exaggerated.
- Position needs to be parallel to the photographic lens without any tilt.
- Eyes should be open towards the camera without any coloured lenses.
- Glasses are permitted provided it does not obscure eyes or reflect light.
- Clothing must be in accordance with the official UAE dress (for citizens).
- Head covering is permitted in line with national dress or religious beliefs.
- Resolution of the image needs to be 600dpi without ink traces or shrinkage.
- Any images subject to enhancements or modifications by an image editing software will not be permitted.
Emirates ID photo size
The photo you upload must be 35 mm in width and 40 mm in height. As per the latest development, please note that the authorities have stated that images that have been edited using digital software will not be accepted.
Emirates ID photo check
Once you upload the picture, if the photo adheres to all the above-given guidelines, it will be accepted by the system. Otherwise, it will be rejected, and you will have to re-upload it.