This article is reviewed regularly by Wego’s editorial team to ensure that the content is up to date & accurate.
Updated November 2023
The Federal Authority for Identity, Citizenship, Customs & Port Security (ICP) authenticates the identity for individuals in the UAE to federal and local government authorities and any other entities. The ICP also records personal and vital data for all Emiratis in the state and keeps them in electronic databases in coordination with the competent authorities.
Here is all you need to know about the services offered by the ICP.
Table of Contents
ICP UAE (formerly ICA)
The ICP is a multi-faceted platform that stores personal data for the entire UAE population and saves the data at electronic databases in coordination with the competent authorities. It also issues various important documents such as Emirates ID cards, residence permits, passports and more.
ICP services were earlier provided via the ICA smart channel.
ICP app and website
All ICP services are available through their smart channels and the e-services can be accessed online 24/7. You can access ICP through the official website or via mobile applications, available both on iOS and Android. UAE ICP is now on Snapchat and Tik Tok.
Our Smart Services at your fingertips 24/7
ICP services are available through the Smart Channels
____#IdentityCitizenshipCustomsAndPortSecurity #eServices #GoDigital pic.twitter.com/uJym31kutW
— Identity, Citizenship, Customs & Port Security UAE (@UAEICP) July 2, 2022
ICP Smart Services
ICP Smart Services allows citizens, residents, and visitors to obtain services concerning visas, passports, Emirates ID, residency, and essentially all other services related to identity and citizenship. It is a centralized portal from which they may access various services pertaining to visa inquiries, permit inquiries, payment of fees and fines and personal information updates.
The system provides a range of services for individuals according to each category, as follows:
- Citizens: Individual citizens can apply for services related to citizens (passport services, family book services, Emirates ID services) and services for the sponsored.
- UAE Residents: Individual residents can apply for services of the Federal Authority for Identity and Citizenship, such as visa, residency and Emirates ID services, for themselves and their sponsor.
- GCC Citizens: GCC citizens can apply for services related to their sponsor in addition to the services of the Emirates ID.
- GCC Residents: GCC residents can apply for services related to entry visas to the country for this category and administer the visa after its issuance.
- Visitors: Visitors can apply for services related to entry visas to the country by category and manage the visa after its issuance.
What are the ICP services being offered?
ICP Emirates ID and residency permit issuance
ICP provides an online service that allows individuals to conveniently issue their Emirates ID and Residency Permit. They can simply access the unified form through the ICP website or the UAEICP Smart App.
Steps to issue residency permit & Emirates ID card via the unified form on our website https://t.co/nttwmSEixS or the UAEICP Smart App
— Identity, Citizenship, Customs & Port Security UAE (@UAEICP) November 6, 2023
Given below are the steps you can follow to issue your Emirates ID and residency permit:
- visit the ICP portal or open the UAEICP App
- enter your email address to register for the UAE Pass account
- you will also need to indicate your UAE phone number.
- gather the required documents
- choose “Residence permit & Emirates ID Issuance Sercive”
- submit the application review and update the retrieved data
- make the payment
- receive your Emirates ID through the certified delivery company. It has been approved as an alternative to proof of the residence visa on the stamped passport.
ICP Emirates ID and passport renewal abroad
The UAE has recently introduced a new service that enables individuals to conveniently renew their Emirates ID card and passport even when they are outside the borders of the UAE through ICP. To initiate this process, applicants can use the dedicated smart application provided by the authority or the ICP website.
To renew your passport through the ICP website, you can follow the steps below:
- visit the ICP passport renewal portal and log in. If you’ve yet to create a UAE Pass account, please register
- select the “Issuing a passport” service
- choose the family member whose passport is to be renewed
- select “passport renewal” as the reason for issuing the passport
- verify the date and update it if required
- pay the service fee (if any)
This ensures that the rightful owners of the documents are the ones applying for the renewal. Even individuals residing outside the UAE can easily access the authority’s smart application or website on their mobile phones. By utilizing ICP, they can effortlessly select the service for renewing their ID cards from abroad, submit their application, conveniently pay the fees, and successfully complete the transaction with utmost ease.
ICP Smart Services new updates
The ICP has introduced a new package of updates to improve the services provided to citizens, residents, and visitors through its smart services system. Some of these services include:
- introduction of a one-time 30-day visa extension service for 90-day visit visas.
- a new policy restricting renewal applications if the residence validity is more than 6 months.
- cancelling and amending visa information for citizens of GCC nations who are registered without an Emirates ID.
- extending the visit visa of a relative or friend on a single trip or multiple trips for a period of 30, 60 and 90 days and extending the pre-entry validity of visas.
- printing visa and residence details in the accounts of visa holders.
- addition of the reference number for identity requests, that is, the PRAN NUMBER, to the financial receipt
- stopping the delegates’ service, the facilities’ fund services, and all related features and verification mechanisms.
- updated cost of visa and Emirates ID added to the system (AED 100)
- residence visa holders that have stayed outside the country for more than 6 months can also avail of services in the smart system. The service is called ‘Issue permit for staying outside UAE over 6 months’ and can be found under ‘Smart Services’.
- service for issuing visas for a family group visiting the UAE for tourism, treatment and accompanying a patient, whether for a single trip or multiple trips for a period of 60 days and 180 days.
- for people of determination:
- exemption of people of determination (UAE citizens) from the fingerprint requirement when submitting applications for issuance, renewal and replacement of their passports.
- providing an exception service from Emirates ID procedures, that is, fingerprints and ICAO, in individual accounts in the E-Channel.
- stopping collecting charges or fees from people of determination.
- exemption from the financial guarantee on the services of opening a sponsorship file and providing a fee recovery service for this category.
- amending the data on the residency of twins with the classification of occupations related to some types of residency.
Services are made available in the accounts of individuals and establishments in a way that facilitates and increases the chances of obtaining them.
ICP Smart Services visa status & validity check
If you hold an Abu Dhabi, Sharjah, Ajman, Umm Al Quwain, Ras Al Khaimah or Fujairah visa, you can check your visa status and validity through the ICP Smart Services. The steps are as follows:
- go to the ICP Smart Services portal here
- select “Passport Information”
- select “Visa” or “Residency”, depending on the visa type
- enter your passport number and passport expiry date
- select your nationality
- check the captcha checkbox and click search.
Provided the information submitted is accurate, your visa details, including the visa expiry date, will be promptly displayed.
If you hold a Dubai visa, however, you would need to visit the GDRFA-Amer portal in order to check your visa status.
ICP Smart Services visa fine enquiry
If you’re required to pay fines related to overstaying, you can use ICP smart services to determine the exact amount. To do this please follow the steps below.
- access the ICP fine services portal
- to search for fines using your visa number, select the ‘file number’ module and enter your visa number along with the department number
- fill in your date of birth and tick the captcha box
- after clicking search, you will be able to review the amount of the overstay fine
ICP Smart Services visa extension
The UAE has now allowed tourists to extend their visit visas without exiting the country. Travellers from the UAE may stay in the nation for a maximum of 60 days to extend the validity of their visit visa. However, fines will be imposed on people who do not extend their tourist visas in accordance with the guidelines established by the UAE government.
According to the ICP government website, the only document required to extend your UAE visit visa is a passport copy. The passport copy must have a validity of 6 months.
- visit the ICP website, and select Extension of Current Visa
- fill in the required details
- pay the required fees. The fee structure changes depending on the number of days you extend your visa:
- 30 Days – AED 610
- 60 days – AED 260
- 90 days – AED 510
- your visa will now be submitted for extension.
ICP Smart Services Golden Visa nomination
All interested individuals who would like to apply for the Golden Visa may do so by applying for the visa online at the ICP smart services platform. The process is quite straightforward, with candidates required to submit the necessary documents and be willing to relocate to the UAE in accordance with their business venture. All you have to do is:
- download the ICP UAE app, or log in to the website
- go to “Public services”
- click “Nomination Application for Golden Service”
- fill in all necessary details and application information
- attach the required documents and pay the visa fee
ICP Smart Services ID card status check
To determine your ID card status or track the progress of your submitted renewal, replacement, or new Emirates ID Card application, simply visit the ICP portal and enter your Application Number (PRAN) or your Emirates ID number (for renewal/replacement applications).
You can also call the ICP on 600522222 for further assistance or enquires.
ICP Smart Services mobile number change
To change your mobile number associated with your Emirates ID, simply go to the ICP update information portal and complete the form. Be advised that a fee will need to be paid to complete the application.
ICP Emirates ID/ Emirates ID details change & update
The UAE digital government has clarified that residents and citizens will have to notify the Federal Authority for Identity, Citizenship, Customs and Port Security (ICP) of any changes or updates regarding the data contained in their Emirates ID cards within a period of 30 days from the date of the change.
This applies to Emirates ID cards issued to nationals and expatriate residents.
According to authorities, UAE residents and citizens can apply to change or update any details for an existing and valid Emirates ID card through the ICP website or its smart application (iOS, Android) without the need for submitting any documents.
The Emirates ID data, as stated by the ICP, must be updated in case of marriage or regarding any changes in the wife’s last name (adopting a maiden name) for some nationalities. However, in case there is no change, the data in the ID card and the population registry must be updated.
The service fee for changing or updating the details of an existing Emirates ID card through the ICP website is AED 100 (USD 27,23).
To log into ICP Smart Services and make use of the range of services offered by them, all you have to do is sign in with UAE Pass through your Emirates ID, email ID or phone number. If you have not already registered with UAE Pass, download the UAE Pass app and scan this QR code to get started.
By downloading the UAE Pass app and creating an account on UAE Pass, the user will have a single digital identity across both local and federal government entities, including the ICP. The app is available on iTunes and Google Play.
ICP customer care
If you’re looking to get in touch with the ICP regarding complaints, customer care, visa issuance, types and validity, or any other issues, you’re welcome to communicate with them directly at the toll-free number 600522222 or send an email to [email protected].
The ICP has also set up various customer happiness centres throughout the UAE that you can visit for a wide array of services. You can also get in touch with the ICA through their social media channels on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.