Updated December 2022
Following the new arrival guidelines released for international arrivals into India by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, the Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport (CSMIA) of Mumbai has put together measures to curb the spread of the new Covid-19 variant BF.7 in India.
Covid testing facilities have also been set up at the airport, available to any passenger arriving or departing from Mumbai by air. Here is everything you need to know about the testing facilities available at the Mumbai International Airport.
Table of Contents
Who needs to take the test at the airport?
As per the guidelines released by India’s Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW), effective 24 December 2022, the following requirements have to be followed by international arrivals at Mumbai International Airport (CSMIA):
- De-boarding should be done, ensuring physical distancing.
- Thermal screening should be done in respect of all the passengers by the health officials present at the point of entry.
- The passengers found to be symptomatic during screening shall be immediately isolated and taken to a designated medical facility as per the health protocol mentioned above.
- The following protocol post arrival shall also be followed:
- A sub-section (2% of the total passengers in the flight) shall undergo random post-arrival testing at the airport on arrival. Please note that children under 12 years of age are exempted from post-arrival random testing. However, if found symptomatic for COVID-19 on arrival or during the self-monitoring period, they shall undergo testing and be treated as per the laid down protocol.
- Such travellers on each flight shall be identified by the concerned airlines (preferably from different countries). They will submit the samples and shall be allowed to leave the airport thereafter.
- If such travellers’ samples are tested positive, their samples should be further sent for genomic testing at the INSACOG laboratory network.
- All travellers should self-monitor their health post arrival also shall report to their nearest health facility or call the National helpline number (1075)/ State Helpline Number in case they have any suggestive symptoms.
Please note that pre-arrival registration on Air Suvidha is mandatory for passengers arriving from China, Japan, South Korea, Hong Kong and Thailand. These passengers must upload a negative COVID-19 RT-PCR test result on the online platform to gain entry to India. After arriving in India, if the passengers test positive, they will be quarantined according to the respective state procedure.
Please visit the official Mumbai International Airport (CSMIA) website for more details on guidelines for international arrivals.
What is the procedure for the test?
The Covid-19 testing facility is now available at the Mumbai International Airport (CSMIA) after the release of the new arrival guidelines for international arrivals. The RT-PCR testing facility for international arriving passengers at CSMIA is located in the international arrival concourse, in the pre-immigration area, after the health screening counters.
As per the official Mumbai International Airport (CSMIA) website, the testing facility will be available for 24 hours, free of cost, for passengers who have been randomly selected by the airlines. Moreover, the CSMIA has appointed an ICMR-approved and NABL-accredited laboratory for Covid-19 testing.
Making a provision for six (6) registration counters and three (3) sampling booths for the Covid-19 testing process, the messages on preventive measures and details of the latest advisories will also be placed strategically across the Terminal and CSMIA’s digital platforms.
Furthermore, international arrivals can also personally avail of the Covid-19 PCR testing facility located in the kerbside of Gate 7 (T2). The test results will take up to 8 hours, and the reports for the same will be conveyed via email. However, to avail of this service possessing valid ID proof such as an Aadhar Card and Passport is mandatory.
Alternatively, travellers departing from the Mumbai International Airport can avail of the Covid-19 PCR testing facility, which is located opposite Departure Gate 7 (T2). Test results will take up to 8-10 hours, and results for the same will be conveyed via email. However, to avail of this service possessing valid ID proof such as an Aadhar Card and Passport is mandatory.
Please visit the official Mumbai International Airport (CSMIA) website for more details regarding the Covid-19 testing facilities.
How much does the test cost?
As per the official Mumbai International Airport (CSMIA) website, the testing facility will be available for 24 hours, free of cost, for passengers who have been randomly selected by the airlines.
However, the RT-PCR test costs have been slashed to INR 500 (USD 6.04) for both international arrivals and departing travellers personally taking the Covid-19 test at the Mumbai Airport. Furthermore, the rate for Rapid PCR tests is INR 1,975 (USD 23.87).
How long until I can get the results?
Travellers opting for the RT-PCR test will get their results within 8-10 hours, and rapid RT-PCR test results are provided in 1-2 hours. The test results are sent via email.
Please visit the CSMIA website for more updates and guidelines on Covid-19 at the Mumbai International Airport.