This article is reviewed regularly (on a bi-weekly basis) by Wego’s editorial team to ensure that the content is up to date & accurate.
Last updated 14 April, 2021
In the wake of the global pandemic, the world has been put to a halt for a long time. But now it is gearing up to get back in action, even if the COVID cases are rising. The positive part about this morbid environment is the recovery rate which is quite high to help people live in less fear. From the onset of the virus, India has been recording a large number of cases every day, with Maharashtra affected the most.
Maharashtra, as we know, constitutes India’s one of the most important cities, Mumbai. The city is the business capital of India and attracts both domestic and international crowd all year round for various affairs. As the country cautiously operates amidst the second wave of the coronavirus, the city has prepared its quarantine policies thoroughly for every traveler.
Latest updates: Curfew
Clearing the air about possible lockdown amidst the second wave, the government of Maharashtra has imposed a strict curfew with the following rules from 14 April to 1 May from 8pm onwards:
- Nobody will be allowed to move in public places without a valid reason.
- The following non-essential services will be closed:
- Cinema halls, theatres, and auditoriums
- Amusement parks
- Gyms and sports complexes
- Shooting locations
- All places of worship
- Schools, colleges, and private coaching classes
- Barbershops, spas, salons, and beauty parlours
- Restaurants and bars (except for takeaway and delivery)
- Only essential services and certain offices will be permitted to function between 7 am and 8 pm on working days.
- Weddings will be restricted to 25 attendees and funerals and last-rites ceremonies to 20 attendees strictly.
Rules for Domestic Travellers
For domestic travelers, the state of Maharashtra has done away with ink stamping on hand for mandatory home quarantine from October 15.
It is mandatory for passengers travelling from the high-risk states of NCR/DELHI, Kerala, Rajasthan, Gujarat & Goa to carry an RT-PCR report issued not earlier than 72 hours before landing. Passengers not having RT-PCR reports must undergo an RT-PCR test at the airport at their own expense.
Rules for International Travellers
Considering the recent spike in COVID-19 cases, the Government of India has enforced a more stringent set of rules for international passengers on 22 March.
- All passengers will have to upload a COVID-19 negative report of RT-PCR test taken within 72 hours of the departure, and submit a self-health declaration form and a declaration with respect to the authenticity of the report and to abide by the rules on Air Suvidha Portal. They will have to undergo home quarantine/self-health monitoring for 14 days or as warranted.
- Passengers must carry a physical or digital copy of the acknowledgment of their self-health declaration form submitted on the Air Suvidha Portal along with their RT-PCR report, else they’ll be denied boarding at the departure.
- Travellers from the United Kingdom, Europe, South Africa, Brazil, and the Middle East will have to undergo molecular tests upon arrival at their own cost and proceed towards home quarantine/self-health monitoring or take onward connecting flights to the final destination within India.
Exemption from institutional quarantine upon arrival into Mumbai will be granted to the following categories upon presenting relevant documents:
- Customers above the age of 65
- Women in advanced stages of pregnancy
- Parent (and the child) accompanied by a child that is less than 5 years of age
- Those requiring medical attention for serious ailments such as cancer, cerebral palsy, physical disability
- An extreme case of family distress i.e., father, mother, son, or daughter in critical condition, severe accident in the family, death of an immediate family member
- Customers who have been administered both the doses of COVID-19 vaccine
- Medical professionals travelling for surgery or attending critical patients
The Hotel Guidelines
The government has laid down the following SOP for hotels:
- The usage of safety masks and gloves are requested to all the passengers while entering and leaving the hotel and during communication with the hotel staff.
- The food is served on disposable plates on a trolley outside the room, the guests are asked to throw away the used cutlery then in the bins outside the rooms.
- The rooms which are once used, are properly disinfected and kept empty for three days minimum.
- The room services are at a halt now, thus, the guests are responsible for maintaining cleanliness inside the room. All other services are done from a one-hand distance.
- The number of people in the elevators shall be restricted, duly maintaining physical distancing norms.
- For air-conditioning/ventilation, the temperature setting of all air conditioning devices should be in the range of 24-30 degrees Celcius, relative humidity should be in the range of 40-70%, and intake of fresh air should be as much as possible and cross ventilation should be adequate.
The quarantine dedicated hotels in Mumbai
Mumbai is among the most affected cities in India, but currently, with the unlock procedure, it is back to business again for most. In fact, Mumbai has received a nod from the central government to start operating its hotel at 100% capacity. It has also prepared selected hotels to provide the services of institutional quarantine to all its domestic and international industrialists. The following are the dedicated hotels of Mumbai facilitating the quarantine needs.
The property is located just a few minutes away from Mumbai Airport. This hotel is specially built to conduct business meets with flexible conference spaces along with fast internet access, secretarial service, and discreet office. Along with the business facilities, one would be mesmerized with internal colonial influenced decor and other leisure facilities along with the very special Winter Garden, the only temperature-controlled tropical garden in the city.
The rooms are additionally well- equipped with all the recreational needs for spending the institutional quarantine, along with exceptional cleanliness measures.
ITC Grand Central
The property fulfils the desire of Royal living, with the luxury rooms and suites best suited for spending the seven days of institutional quarantine. The rooms provide an exceptional view of the city along with the Arabian Sea. The trained staff are ready to handle the recent situation and promise to deliver their best service. Though the travelers will not be allowed to participate in any outdoor facility, any indoor needs will be taken care of.
This hotel is the contemporary airport hotel of Mumbai, which is very close to the business headquarters. Although located within close proximity to the airport, it is focused on providing the passengers a hustle free stay. The rooms have exquisite views of the runway, with flights taking off and Hiranandani Garden districts` skyscrapers. The hotel promises to take special care of the taste buds with all the special Mumbai foods and has arranged all the needs to provide service to the quarantine travelers.
The unique feature of the hotel is the young and friendly staff who work with all their potential to provide an intimate service. This is a 5 Star property of Mars Hotels and Resorts Limited which is designed to give a homely feeling away from home. The property attracts many business tycoons for the facility of Business and Conference rooms and Banquets and the special corporate ambiance. The accommodation facilities provide the best option to spend your 7 days Quarantine. There are boutique rooms with beautiful views of outdoor gardens. The premier rooms are rainforest-themed with the bright and fresh interior decor along with Executive accommodations for the special mountain theme rooms.
The Lalit Residency
The property is already a winner of “Loved by guest” in 2016 by hotels.com along with other significant awards. It is located very close to the airport in Mumbai and from the main commercial and business locations. One can choose between the wide range of accommodation facilities for spending 7 days of the Quarantine program. There are Executive Suite, Luxury Suite, Spa Suite, and the Lalit Legacy suite. There are also options for Deluxe Room, Premier Room, Clubroom or 1-bed Apartments, 2-bed Apartments, and 3-bed Apartments.
If someone is thinking of spending their seven days of Quarantine luxuriously, this is the place. The property is inspired by the Maratha dynasty and offers you the best luxury services in all its cuisines accommodation and recreational options. Due to government guidelines, outdoor recreation is not allowed but the ITC Maratha is all set to provide the best indoor services. One can choose between Executive Club, Towers, ITC One, Executive Suite, Deluxe Suite for their institutional Quarantine.
Hyatt Regency, Mumbai
Hyatt Regency in Mumbai falls under the list of the foremost five star hotels in Mumbai. This place provides great deals for business conferences and spacious accommodations. Based on the current situation Hyatt Regency is already taking all the needful measures to create a safe environment for the guests as well as its staff. The regulation sanitization, temperature check, social distancing, using masks and gloves, safe distance room service, safety protocols in food are being maintained.
Grand Hyatt, Mumbai
This property is located in the business area of Bandra Kurla Complex Mumbai and offers a wide range of rejuvenating facilities. Currently based on the situation the restaurants, bars, and spa are closed and the hotel is working with all its potential to provide necessary services to those who choose to Quarantine with Grand Hyatt. Accommodation like Diplomatic Suite, Grand Executive Suite, Grand Suite King, Presidential Suite Verandah Suite King is available for spending the Quarantine days in a luxurious way. There are also options to choose from a variety of rooms available with the king and queen bed size along with Grand, Standard, and Verandah Apartments.
The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai
Apart from being a hotel, the Taj Mahal Palace is a heritage of Mumbai standing beside the Arabian Sea with the famous Gateway of India next to it. From its very origin, the property has hosted important personalities, dignitaries, and famous business tycoons and now it has prepared itself to serve as an institutional Quarantine center for the guests in Mumbai. The hotel has modified its safety protocols according to the guidelines of the World Health Organisation and Food s
Safety and Standard Authority of India. The property has made special arrangements for added layouts to avoid physical contact in lobbies, elevators, and restaurants. All the important day to day materials like furniture, cutlery, crockery, stationery, vehicles and etc are properly disinfected. The Taj Mahal Palace is also extending their helping hands for counseling support so that every guest experiences a physical and mental well-being stay.
President – IHCL SeleQtions, Mumbai
The property is located in the Cuffe Parade area of South Bombay and it is very close to Nariman Point and Colaba. It has a wide range of rooms like Superior Room, Deluxe Room, Premium Room, Executive Suite, and SeleQtions Suite. Based on the current situation the President is modifying its better staff services, improving its technological reach to provide contact-free services, maintaining food safety, and focusing more on sanitation and cleanliness.
Taj Lands End
The property is a perfect blend of modern architecture with ancient hospitality. Located at close proximity to Bandra Fort and Bandra Bandstand and with the amazing view of Bandra Worli Sea Link, this five-star hotel can turn your Quarantine days into vacation. There are Luxury Room, Infinity Sea View Room, Grand Luxury Room, Taj Club Room, Executive Suite Pool View King Bedroom, Luxury Suite Sea View Room and so many others to choose from for the seven days Quarantine period. Based on all the important guidelines of the World Health Organisation, Taj Lands End has modified its services and safety protocols to welcome the travelers for their institutional Quarantine.
Hotel Suncity Apollo
This property is located in the happening place of Colaba and just a few minutes’ walk from the Gateway of India and the Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Museum. Famous for its warm hospitality and exceptional accommodation this property will allow one to spend their Quarantine days comfortably.
Oriental Aster is a potential choice for spending the Quarantine days because of its comfortable rooms with indoor recreational equipment. The place is particularly popular for its unique and personalized Hospitality Services which is an important need during the isolation days. The Classic premium and luxury rooms are elegantly decorated and comfortably equipped to provide a pleasant stay.
Comfort Inn Heritage
The property is located in the Byculla area of Mumbai amid the cacophony of the city giving the pure essence of the city of dreams. It is a 4-star luxury hotel that provides comfortable stay classic customer service pleasant ambiance and all the modern amenities to help the guests feel like their home.
This property is a 4-star hotel and it is a five-minute walk from the Gateway of India. The dining choices at this hotel are top-notch along with familiar Hotel services. One can choose between superior rooms Deluxe rooms executive club rooms are sweet to spend their leisurely Quarantine days.
Hotel Leafio Mumbai
This property has always been a popular choice for foreign travelers because of its comfortable guest rooms and warm interior decors. The complimentary coffee and tea service and the exceptionally helpful staff helps one feel at home. The hotel has started its warm welcome to all the domestic as well as international guests and focused earnestly on regular cleaning, sanitization, food hygiene, and body temperature checking.
Guidelines for hospitality services in India
- The hotel reception staff are needed to be properly knowledgeable about hand hygiene and respiratory hygiene. Along with this, they should also be trained to follow safety protocols quickly when an emergency situation like a guest developing symptoms occurs.
- Guests need to answer about their travel history to any highly affected area or any physical contact with a COVID patient in the past.
- Guests will be needed to maintain personal hygiene and use alcohol-based sanitizer containing 70% alcohol while they are in public areas. Usage of masks and gloves is highly recommended most of the time.
- Special focus shall be given on the guests with travel history in affected areas and they will be advised to remain in the room and wear surgical masks all the time.
- Arrangements should be done quickly for admitting any sick guests to the hospital with the developed symptoms of fever, cough, breathlessness, or sore throat. The hotel staff should themselves be aware of developing any symptoms and always use a personal protection kit while interacting with the sick guest.
- The virus has the potential ability to stay alive in the environment for a long time, thus, the contaminated area or room of the sick guest should be thoroughly cleaned and sanitized and kept empty for at least 3 days before reusing it.
- The hotel staff is asked to use PPE kits during cleaning along with disposable hand gloves. Physical contact with eyes, nose, mouth, and even ears should be avoided as much as possible. All the protective kits should be disposed of as soon as the work is completed in a safe place from where contamination is not possible. The habit of cleaning hands vigorously should be adopted and the staff should be aware of developing any symptoms.