Updated November 2023
As part of the Saudi Vision 2030 goals — the digital transformation process — the Saudi government has introduced an electronic version of the Saudi passport called the Saudi e-passport.
The move towards e-passports is part of the Saudi government’s efforts to increase security and reduce the potential for passport fraud. Additionally, it also aligns with international standards set by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO).
If you’re looking to learn more about the Saudi e-passport, including how you can obtain one, please continue reading our article.
Table of Contents
The Saudi e-passport is a passport that contains an electronic chip embedded within the cover. The chip allows the e-passport to store the passport holder’s biographic and biometric information, such as a digital photograph, name, date of birth, fingerprints and signature.
The next-generation travel document allows for the implementation of biometric technology, which allows for more secure and efficient identification. The Saudi e-passport can be verified and scanned at smart gates at international borders.
The Saudi e-passport is also decorated with the Kingdom’s most famous historical and cultural landmarks, watermarked into its pages.
Saudi e-passport eligibility
Generally speaking, any citizen of Saudi Arabia who is 18 years of age or older is eligible to apply for a Saudi e-passport.
Saudi e-passport issuance
Saudi citizens who intend to obtain the e-passport may simply take the steps below:
- visit the Absher portal
- register for an Absher account: If you don’t have an account, you will need to register for one using your national ID number
- log in to your Absher account and select ‘Citizens’ from the homepage.
- select the “Passport Services” tab. Once logged in, you will be able to access the various passport-related services available
- fill out the application form: You will need to fill out the online application form, providing the required information and uploading the necessary documents
- pay the fee: You will need to pay the passport fee online, which can vary depending on the type of passport you are applying for and the duration of its validity.
All procedures are carried out electronically through the platform Absher. The passport will be delivered through shipment to the registered address on the Absher platform.
Saudi e-passport requirements
Additionally, the following requirements must be met for the issuance of a Saudi e-passport:
- payment of any traffic violations (if any)
- the applicant’s fingerprint and photo
- the applicant must be present in the Kingdom during the request for issuance
- the applicant’s Iqama ID
Saudi e-passport processing time
The applicants will be able to receive their passports within 3-5 working days after submitting the request through shipment.
Saudi e-passport validity
Applicants who are over the age of 20 have the option to choose between a 5 or 10-year passport. Those who are under 20 years of age are only allowed to apply for a 5-year passport.
Saudi e-passport cost
The price of the issuance and the renewal of the e-passport is the same as the price of the conventional passport. The issuance cost for a 5-year Saudi e-passport is SR 300, while a fee of SR 600 will be charged for the issuance of a 10-year Saudi e-passport.
If you wish to learn more about the issuance process or lodge a complaint, you can reach out to the following: