This article is reviewed regularly by Wego’s editorial team to ensure that the content is up to date & accurate.
South Africa draws tourists with its breathtaking landscapes, diverse wildlife, dynamic cities, and rich cultural heritage that resonates with people across the globe. Discovering this hidden gem in the southern hemisphere is now a convenient process, thanks to South Africa’s electronic visa system, which simplifies the application process and promotes accessibility and security.
In this article, Wego tells you everything you need to know about obtaining a digital visa for South Africa.
Table of Contents
What is the South Africa eVisa?
The online eVisa service in South Africa offers a hassle-free and secure way to apply for an electronic visa through the Department of Home Affairs. This service allows direct communication with the department in charge of processing and approving eVisas for travelers entering South Africa.
With a straightforward four-step process, applicants can easily submit all necessary information and conveniently monitor the status and outcome of their applications.
South Africa eVisa eligible countries
Please note that the South African eVisa system is currently only available for citizens from the following nationalities:
- Congo, (Kinshasa)
- Congo (Brazzaville)
- Côte d’Ivoire
- People’s Republic of China
- Republic of Guinea
- Saudi Arabia
South Africa eVisa required documents
Here are the documents you must submit in order to obtain an eVisa for South Africa.
- a valid passport, with a validity of at least 6 months from the arrival date in South Africa and at least two blank pages for stamps.
- proof of sufficient funds to cover your entire trip, such as bank statements for the last three months.
- proof of travel plans, including proof of accommodation and an onward or return ticket.
- yellow fever certificate (if applicable), if you’re coming from or transiting through a country with a high risk of yellow fever.
South Africa eVisa application process
Here are the steps to apply for an eVisa for South Africa.
- visit the official South Africa eVisa portal.
- register by providing information such as name, passport number, country of residence, email address etc.
- access the online application form and fill in the necessary information.
- upload the required documents that support your application.
- once you complete the application, the required fees will be displayed to you.
- make the required payment, and upload the proof of payment received from the bank to complete your application process.
- once the eVisa is approved, a notification will be made available on your eVisa online portal.
Please note that you must print a copy to carry with your passport and bring it along when you travel to South Africa. When you arrive in South Africa, you must have your e-visa notification printout, with your passport at all times.
South Africa eVisa validity
Each country has different entry rules into South Africa. As such, the validity of an eVisa to South Africa varies by type and country. Validity periods are stated when the eVisa is issued.
In general, most countries have a validity period of up to 90 days.
South Africa eVisa status check
Progress and status updates on your application can be obtained via the dashboard on your South Africa eVisa online portal, by signing in with your email address, passport number and password.
South Africa eVisa fee
The cost of the eVisa you apply for will be presented to you during the capture and completion of your application form. The fee is stated in South African Rands (ZAR).
Please note that fees, once paid, are not refundable, irrespective of whether your visa is approved, denied or unused.