Updated 13 June 2022
Umrah is one of the important pilgrimages that Muslims may perform at any time during the year in Saudi Arabia. This pilgrimage is a part of the grand pilgrimage, Hajj, which is performed annually.
We’ve gathered all the important information that you need to perform Umrah from UAE in this article. Read further to find out.
Umrah 2022 news and update
In a piece of welcome news, the Saudi authorities have recently launched an electronic service for Umrah pilgrims that will enable them to obtain their Umrah visa within 24 hours. Umrah seekers residing in countries all over the world may now directly apply for the visa through a designated web service.
The validity of the Umrah visa has also been extended from one month to three months. This new arrangement also allows pilgrims to move about freely within Saudi Arabia without any restraints.
While the electronic service for the Umrah visa has reportedly been launched, there has been no information on where the Umrah seekers may register. We’ll update this section as soon as new details emerge.
In the meantime, the government of Saudi Arabia recommends that you enlist the assistance of an approved travel agent in your country to obtain your Umrah visa.
For the Umrah e-visa, you simply need to complete the form, upload the required documents, make the payment, and wait for a response.
Can Emiratis perform Umrah in 2022?
Yes, Saudi Arabia is currently issuing permits to foreign pilgrims wishing to perform the Umrah, including the ones from the UAE. Additionally, the Saudi government has also lifted all COVID-related restrictions for international arrivals from essentially all countries including:
- Pilgrims are no longer needed to present a PCR test upon arrival
- Pilgrims no longer need to present proof of vaccination upon arrival, hence, unvaccinated pilgrims can perform Umrah at any time of their convenience.
- Children aged 5 and above can apply for an Umrah permit and pray at the Holy Rawdah.
Recently, the Ministry of Hajj and Umrah allowed women aged 18 to 65 to perform Umrah without a male guardian or “mahram”, but on the condition that they are a part of a group. They are also required to be vaccinated for one dose (partially vaccinated) and free of any diseases.
When is the best time for Umrah 2022?
Many Muslims prefer to perform Umrah during Ramadan. Especially since the holy month itself is believed to be a time where the Qur’an is first revealed to the Prophet Muhammad SAW, thus, Ramadan is marked as the month full of blessings. That is why, all good deeds are encouraged during Ramadan, including Umrah.
This year, Ramadan starts on 2 April 2022 and ends on 2 May 2022 in UAE.
To keep updated on Ramadan 2022 news in UAE, check out our article below:
However, it is announced that the Umrah season for the UAE will continue until the end of the Shawwal month. Therefore, the UAE pilgrims are urged to book their flight tickets for Umrah before May 15.
What are the requirements for Umrah 2022?
Here are the documents that you need to prepare to obtain your Umrah Visa:
- A completed original Umrah visa application form. The statement written at the end of the application form must be carefully read and signed. (To obtain a visa application form by post, send a large, self-addressed envelope to your nearest Saudi Consulate.) Note: If someone has a non-Muslim name, he or she should submit a certificate from a mosque or an Islamic center stating that the applicant is a Muslim.
- One recent passport size color photograph with a white background should be attached to the application form. The photograph must be a full-face view in which the visa applicant is facing the camera directly. Side or angled views are NOT accepted.
- Passports should be valid for at least 6 months from the date of submission of the application form.
- Confirmed and non-refundable airline ticket. Departure from Saudi Arabia should be within two weeks from the date of entry.
- A vaccination certificate against Meningococcal Meningitis should be attached. The certificate of vaccinations should have been issued not more than three years and not less than 10 days prior to entry to Saudi Arabia and it should be valid for three years. The vaccination certificate must be with the applicant on entry to Saudi Arabia.
- If the applicant is not a national of the country he/she is applying from, a valid residency permit must be submitted with the application.
Can I perform Umrah using a tourist visa?
Normally, yes you can. Everyone visiting Saudi Arabia on a tourist visa may obtain an Umrah permit by applying through the Eatmarna and Tawakkalna app.
However, Saudi authorities have recently announced a rule where all expatriates wishing to enter Makkah are required to first obtain an entry permit. This means that holders of tourist or visit visas wishing to perform Umrah may only do so after they have secured the Makkah entry permit.
This requirement will apply until the end of this year’s Hajj season.
Once the Hajj season is over, performing Umrah on a tourist visa does offer its own advantages such as a longer stay period, permission for multiple entries, and the freedom to choose your own hotel for Umrah.
Makkah Tower Hotel
Set in the heart of the Makkah overlooking the Masjid al Haram, the Makkah Tower Hotel offers a range of excellent rooms and suites set in a prime location. Enjoy a host of premium amenities, including excellent dining and majestic views from the panoramic glass lifts.
Distance to Masjid al Haram: less than 1 kilometer/1-minute walk
Price: From AED 325 per night
Pullman ZamZam Makkah
The Pullman ZamZam Makkah hotel is an iconic 5-star hotel that regularly welcomes Umrah and Hajj pilgrims with Hijazi hospitality. The hotel provides pilgrims with partial views over the ever-inspiring Kaaba and the Masjid Al Haram. Amenities include an excellent in-room dining experience featuring international and oriental specialities and facilities for the disabled.
Distance to Masjid al Haram: less than 1 kilometer/1-minute walk
Price: From AED 333 per night
Umrah pilgrims will definitely be able to take advantage of the hotel’s close proximity to both the Masjid al Haram and the Kaaba. Conrad Makkah features a fusion of contemporary and traditional Islamic architecture and a range of dining options serving Arabic and international cuisine, a fitness center, and light-filled meeting spaces.
Distance to Masjid al Haram: less than 1 kilometer/3-minute walk
Price: From AED 595 per night
Crowne Plaza Madinah
The hotel is in proximity to Masjid al-Nabawi and Holy Rawdah. Pilgrims can walk or take a free shuttle directly to the entrances of the Prophet’s Holy Mosque. The hotel concierge can help with suggestions on restaurants, markets and shopping malls in nearby areas in Madinah.
Distance to Prophet’s Holy Mosque: 1.1 kilometer/6-minute walk
Price starts from AED 1,049 per night.
Madinah Hilton is a two-minute walk from the Masjid al-Nabawi and Holy Rawdah. It is located at a 25 minutes distance from the airport and has shops, 2 restaurants and 1 café. The hotel also provides a range of kids’ amenities upon request.
Distance to Prophet’s Holy Mosque: 2.5 kilometer/16-minute walk
Price starts from AED 1,758 per night.
Note: Hotel and accommodation prices are accurate at the time of writing.
The Umrah permit is issued through the Eatmarna and Tawakkalna apps.
You can use the Eatmarna and Tawakkalna applications to pre-plan your Umrah and register for your permit. You can also identify the most suitable time to perform Umrah based on the crowd percentage and time of day.
According to the latest update, a verification of a person’s vaccination status is no longer required when issuing an Umrah permit and a permit to enter the two Holy Mosques. However, a permit is still needed for performing Umrah and praying in the Holy Rawdah, the chambers where Prophet Mohammed is buried.
— Ministry of Hajj and Umrah (@MoHU_En) March 9, 2022
Muqeem arrival registration for Umrah pilgrims
Your vaccination status will first need to be registered on Saudi Arabia’s Muqeem portal at least 72 hours before departure to the Kingdom. Since Umrah pilgrims are categorized as short-term visitors, you would first need to register your arrival and vaccine certificate Muqeem.
For details on how you can register yourself on the arrival registration platform, please do refer to our dedicated article.
Umrah 2022 package in UAE
You can book your Umrah package from one of Saudi Arabia approved travel agents for UAE of your choice. The prices vary depending on which package you choose. Here are a few estimates:
Overland travel (average cost)
• AED 700 per person, including transport and accommodation in one-, two-star or unrated hotels.
• AED 950 per person, including transport and accommodation in three- or four-star hotels.
• AED 1,500 per person, including transport and accommodation in five-star hotels.
Air travel (average cost)
• AED 3,200 per person, including transport and accommodation in three- or four-star hotels.
• AED 3,700 to AED 4,000 per person, including transport and accommodation in five-star hotels.
Please note that the prices will go up during the Rajab, Shaaban and Ramadan.