Updated September 2023
Turkey, a captivating nation bridging Europe and Asia, boasts a rich cultural and historical heritage. If you plan to visit Turkey for tourism, business purposes, or transit, it might be necessary to obtain a visa to enter the country. Depending on your citizenship and the purpose of your visit, you may be eligible for a Turkish transit visa, allowing you to stay in Turkey while awaiting your next flight connection.
Read on to learn more about the Turkey transit visa requirements, fees, and application process.
Table of Contents
Turkey transit visa
Passengers in transit or connecting flights in Turkey with lengthy layovers may want to utilize their time and explore the airport’s vicinity. However, information on transit visas is scarce, and multiple sources recommend travelers transiting in Istanbul get an e-visa. Please note that you are not required to obtain a Turkey transit visa if you’re not planning on leaving the transit lounge at the airport.
You can read more about the e-visa in our dedicated Turkey e-visa article.
Turkey transit visa requirements
Prior to starting the online visa application process, travelers must ensure that they possess the following necessary documents:
- passport or travel document with 6 months validity
- an email address where they can receive notifications and the e-visa
- a debit or credit card to pay for the visa fee
Turkey transit visa online application
Most nationalities are eligible to request an e-visa. Eligible travelers can now apply for a Turkey tourist e-visa by following the steps below:
- fill out the online application form on the Turkish government’s e-visa page
- make the payment through Visa, Mastercard, American Express, or PayPal
- wait until you receive a confirmation email
- print the confirmation and take it with you on your trip
Turkey transit visa cost
Although the Ministry of Interior of Turkey states that the cost of a transit visa is TRY 2,304 for single transit and TRY 4,623 for double transit, it is strongly advised for travelers to obtain an e-visa instead.